Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1,214 5/6*

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not pretty. ?:)

Screenshot from 2024-10-15 19-30-19.png
 
Blah I got the last two letters first and then drew blanks. :smile: Then again I am not playing with a full deck.
Wordle 1,214 X/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: jack action and sbrothy
gmax137 said:
Wordle 1,214 4/6

⬜🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That's barely in my dictionary.
In mine neither. It really had me confused.

I'm sure I dont have to confess that
COREY
was a totally blind guess.

The beauty of the "heuristic" approach. :smile:
 
dwarde said:
Blah I got the last two letters first and then drew blanks. :smile: Then again I am not playing with a full deck.
Wordle 1,214 X/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
Odd thing about Wordle 1214 is that it had the worst global mean score since I started keeping track of such things from game #564.
24.3% of global players did not solve the puzzle.
Only 3.6% of global players solved it in 3 guesses, while 57% of PF players solved it in 3.

Wordle 1214 2024-10-16 at 11.28.42.png


ps.

Wordle 1,215 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨ 2 words left
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬› drats!
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
OmCheeto said:
Only 3.6% of global players solved it in 3 guesses, while 57% of PF players solved it in 3.
Even without being told this factoid, I would not think that PF members who solve Wordles are very representative of the average Wordle solver ...
 
Orodruin said:
Even without being told this factoid, I would not think that PF members who solve Wordles are very representative of the average Wordle solver ...
True, but this was out of the ball park better.

The World vs PF:

Count of PF average minus World average
PF vs the World in Wordle 2024-10-16 at 22.49.05.png


I'm not sure why HOUND gave us so much trouble. No double letters. No rare letters.
 
OmCheeto said:
I'm not sure why HOUND gave us so much trouble. No double letters. No rare letters.
It is not necessarily that it causes PF people trouble as much as it might be easier for others. If our expected average is not that different for a particular word, variation in the PF sample (which is rather small) could easily affect our result to the worse.
 
Wordle 1,216 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨ [CLASH] 3 left: HAZEL HALVE LATHE
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨ [HAZEL] dang!
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [HALVE]

I was torn between HAZEL and HALVE. I finally went with the more romantic beautiful hazel eyes.
 
Wordle 1,216 5/6*

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Again, I'm not too proud. I mean HAYLE? I'm surprised it accepted it really.

Screenshot from 2024-10-17 16-39-52.png
 
Last edited:
Wordle 1,217 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬› [CLASH] 158 left
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› [INTER] filter - 3 left: STING STINK STINT
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬› [STING] most probable
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [STINT] 2nd most probable

I could have chosen a filter word on 3rd β€” like GECKO β€” for a guaranteed solution in 4 but decided to go for the kill, testing my theory of the most probable solution chosen by a human. :nb) In the end, I got the same result. :cool:
 
Wordle 1,217 5/6*

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Still ain't pretty but at least I didn't do any stupidly obtuse guesses. IMHO. Except maybe STING should gone before STICK..?

Screenshot from 2024-10-18 21-00-03.png
 
jack action said:
In the end, I got the same result. :cool:
… which, I have to point out, is the actual prediction (on average) when assuming fully random. If you got a worse result on average, that would be evidence in favour of picking words not likely to be selected by an editor.
 
Wordle 1,218 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ [CLASH] 464 left - might have to try a new seed word, this one seems off lately
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ [IRONE] filter- 18 left
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬› [RIVET] filter and possible answer - 4 left: FIBER FIXER PIPER WIDER
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [FIBER] most probable - my program suggested FIXER as my next guess but I preferred this one.