Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,780 replies · 460K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1,224 5/6

🟦⬜⬜⬜🟦
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
🟧⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
I got excited after the second try and impetuously fell into a degeneracy. It should have been a 4.
 
Wordle 1,224 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬› [PRICE] 69 left
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ© [TALON] filter - 4 left: BROWN DROWN FROWN GROWN
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ [DEBUG] filter - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [FROWN]

The suggested filter for the 3rd guess by my program was GOWFS which was not good enough. Something to work on obviously.

I did not use the most-probable method as the choices were too many and too close to call. If I had used it though, the answer would have been my second choice: 1- GROWN, 2- FROWN, 3- BROWN, 4- DROWN.
 
jack action said:
1- GROWN, 2- FROWN, 3- BROWN, 4- DROWN
In what world is FROWN more likely to be chosen by a human than BROWN or DROWN?
 
Orodruin said:
In what world is FROWN more likely to be chosen by a human than BROWN or DROWN?
BROWN can be too scatological and rarely a favorite color, and DROWN is much too sad and negative. GROWN is my #1 choice because it gives a more positive outlook on life.

Remember, this is for a general audience that wants to escape the bad news they've just read. This is my criteria when comparing possible answers. But, like I said, the differences were way too subtle in this selection of words for me to try to guess it.
 
Wordle 1,225 5/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨ [POLAR] 20 left
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› [TSKED] filter - 4 left: BREAK CREAK FREAK WREAK
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ [FINCH] filter - 2 left: BREAK WREAK
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ© [BREAK]
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [WREAK]

This one was a bust. The most-probable method was not helpful at all. @Orodruin , you can put a notch on the "did not work" column.

As my third guess, I couldn't find a filter word with three of the four letters BCFW. My first choice as the most probable answer was BREAK, and my last choice was WREAK. So I settled to filter C and F, thinking it would be BREAK if none came out.
 
jack action said:
BROWN can be too scatological and rarely a favorite color, and DROWN is much too sad and negative. GROWN is my #1 choice because it gives a more positive outlook on life.
Yet humans bake and consume without second thought brownies made with brown sugar. See here for mouth-watering recipe.


Brownies.jpg
 
jack action said:
The most-probable method was not helpful at all.
How do you define "most-probable"? After your second try in today's puzzle, you had 4 candidates left. Two of these have been used before and their probability of reappearing is, well, negligible. If you eliminated them before proceeding to your third guess, you would have a 50-50 chance for a 3 and a certainty for a 4.

After my second guess today, I had 10 candidates left which were reduced to 5 by eliminating already used words. One of the 5 was a filter that would allow me to distinguish among all five. I was lucky enough that it was also the answer.
 
I read through the posts without opening any spoilers. I came away with "least probable" in my mind, and the correct word popped up. o0) :smile: I don't go online and read the hints and I usually go with what I think is "most probable". Then again there is always luck.
Wordle 1,225 2/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
kuruman said:
Two of these have been used before
Dang! My program was supposed to eliminate them!

The website it checks modified its HTML (an ID attribute), and manipulating the resulting text created a silent error that just returned an empty list of already-used words. :mad:
 
jack action said:
Dang! My program was supposed to eliminate them!

The website it checks modified its HTML (an ID attribute), and manipulating the resulting text created a silent error that just returned an empty list of already-used words. :mad:
I felt more secure doing everything using VBA code within a single spreadsheet which keeps track of all word lists.
 
Wordle 1,227 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨ [RAPID] 10 left
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ© [NEWLY] filter- 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [BAWDY]

Lucky here. I forgot to use the "ignore past answers" option and ended up with 20 words left with my first guess and I used the suggested filter word which left only one possible answer.

If I had used the suggested filter word with 10 remaining words, I would have used the suggested filter word UNLAY which would have left two possibilities: BAWDY and CADDY. I would have chosen CADDY over BAWDY.