Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 459K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 543 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

oops.

[Edit]
Someone remember the above.

Wordle 513 4/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

[/Edit]
 
Last edited:
According to the rules at https://www.nytimes.com/games/wordle/index.html the significance of the color coding is
Rules.png

In 513 the evaluation of my second attempt was
EAGLE.png

Do you see the inconsistency? The "E" in the first spot is coded as "not in the word in any spot" (emphasis mine). Yet, the "E" in spot 5 is coded "in the word and in the correct spot". How can "E" be simultaneously not in the word in any spot and in the word in spot 5? It seems to me that the "E" in the first spot should be coded "in the word but in the wrong spot" which matches what it is. It looks like the evaluation algorithm distinguishes letters in mysterious ways. Either that or there is a bug somewhere.

I sent an email about this to the contact link, but received no reply yet. I am not holding my breath although I received an automated response asking me "To help us improve our tools and services, we invite you to share feedback about your recent email with Customer Care on November 14." I am not sending any feedback unless I receive something to feed on.
 
kuruman said:
Do you see the inconsistency? The "E" in the first spot is coded as "not in the word in any spot" (emphasis mine). Yet, the "E" in spot 5 is coded "in the word and in the correct spot". How can "E" be simultaneously not in the word in any spot and in the word in spot 5? It seems to me that the "E" in the first spot should be coded "in the word but in the wrong spot" which matches what it is. It looks like the evaluation algorithm distinguishes letters in mysterious ways. Either that or there is a bug somewhere.
I mean, the correct interpretation should be that the second E is not in the word. One E is already marked as in the word and in the correct spot. Marking the letters that are in the correct spot first thankfully is done consistently.
 
fresh_42 said:
A friend of mine always starts with 'EARLY' and 'PIOUS'.
I start with "LATER". Then depending on the result, I will do one of about 90 words including these: "MUONS", "SODIC", "CIONS", "SCION", "PIOUS", "MINKS", "PYINS", "MINUS", "COIFS", "CHOPS", "BOHOS", "SINUS", "KUMYS", "BINGY", "SOUPY", "BONUS", "BIGOS", "INCUS", "CODON", "DISHY", "FOODY", "CISSY", "HONDS", "PIOYS", "NIDUS", "MINDS", "HYMNS", "BUMPS", "BONDS", "SHINS", "FINOS", "BIFFS", "PHONS", "CHIPS", "WHUPS", "YONIS", "BIDON", "BUSHY", "BUMFS", "BUMPH", "CHICK"

For example, if I get no matches at all (-----), then "MUONS" works well. With a direct hit on the middle letter but no other matches (--M--), then "SOUPY" is best. After my "LATER", your friends second pick "PIOUS" is also my pick for patterns "mm---", "-mm--", "m-mM-", "-mm-m", "---Mm", and "m--MM".

Using this method, my results for today is:

Wordle 514 4/6

🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
kuruman said:
According to the rules at https://www.nytimes.com/games/wordle/index.html the significance of the color coding is ...

Do you see the inconsistency? The "E" in the first spot is coded as "not in the word in any spot" (emphasis mine). Yet, the "E" in spot 5 is coded "in the word and in the correct spot". How can "E" be simultaneously not in the word in any spot and in the word in spot 5? It seems to me that the "E" in the first spot should be coded "in the word but in the wrong spot" which matches what it is. It looks like the evaluation algorithm distinguishes letters in mysterious ways. Either that or there is a bug somewhere.
Their legend is not correct - but they probably don't want to explain how double letters are dealt with in the legend. I expect most users that have played more than a dozen ties have worked it out for themselves.
 
Wordle 515 6/6

⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That was rough …
… took me quite some time to come up with a 5th guess that would guarantee victory.
 
Wordle 516 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

.Scott said:
With such a good start, I was hoping to do better.
With such a start, I was not expecting that at guess 3. Wordle is full of surprises.
 
Wordle 516 2/6

πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I switched out my 10 random seed words today and my machine picked a VERY lucky one.
It eliminated all but the solution.

hmmm... Anyone know how many Wordle words do that? Obviously all the anagrams, like SLATE and STALE.
Apart from the anagrams, I have not a clue how to construct an algorithm to figure that out.