Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
  • #1,331
Wordle 627 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,332
I'd assume that some of the best opening words would be those including the most frequent letters in English words. Like the most abundant tiles in Scrabble. Those would be: "EAIONRS".

I'm not adhering to this priniple exactly though. I have a habit of starting with words such as

SQUAT
TOXIC
PAUSE
etc.

Even though technically X and Q are probally bad choices for starters.

You have any favorite start words?

• #1,333
sbrothy said:
I'd assume that some of the best opening words would be those including the most frequent letters in English words. Like the most abundant tiles in Scrabble. Those would be: "EAIONRS".
That would not be applicable to the five-lettered subset of the English words. If you consider only the short list of 2300 or so words that are candidates for the NYT Wordle, the frequency order is
EAROTLSINC.
If you consider the extended list of all 13,000 or so five-lettered English words, the order changes to
SEAORILTNU.
The promotion of "S" to number 1 occurs because of obscure plural-like words such as ADAYS or plurals such as WAKFS. I used the latter to simultaneously exclude words containing "K", "W", and "F" from a list of possible answers. It is useful to know that the bot, which evaluates one's answer, rejects it if it's not on the extended list although the daily candidates are drawn from the shorter NYT list.

• #1,334
Wordle 627 4/6

⬜🟦🟦⬜🟦
🟦🟦⬜🟦🟦
🟧🟧🟦🟧⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,335
Wordle 628 3/6

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

This was only a 3 because I couldn't believe it and made an extra call to settle it.

• #1,336
Wordle 628 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,338
Wordle 628 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,339
kuruman said:
That would not be applicable to the five-lettered subset of the English words. If you consider only the short list of 2300 or so words that are candidates for the NYT Wordle, the frequency order is
EAROTLSINC.
If you consider the extended list of all 13,000 or so five-lettered English words, the order changes to
SEAORILTNU.
The promotion of "S" to number 1 occurs because of obscure plural-like words such as ADAYS or plurals such as WAKFS. I used the latter to simultaneously exclude words containing "K", "W", and "F" from a list of possible answers. It is useful to know that the bot, which evaluates one's answer, rejects it if it's not on the extended list although the daily candidates are drawn from the shorter NYT list.

Duh!

Ofcourse I failed to take that into account. In hardmode there's also the occasional word you cannot use because those rules are in effect. I think that was the source of my misunderstanding that "orbit " wasn't accepted as a word. Ie. The hardmode rules. Because surely it must be, no?EDIT: Corrected wordsalat.

• #1,340
Wordle 628 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,341
Wordle 628 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟧
⬜⬜🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟦⬜🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,342
sbrothy said:
Duh!

Ofcourse I failed to take that into account. In hardmode there's also the occasional word you cannot use because those rules are in effect. I think that was the source of my misunderstanding that "orbit " wasn't accepted as a word. Ie. The hardmode rules. Because surely it must be, no?
Yes, ORBIT must have been rejected because of the hard rules. I started out in hard mode but then I came across single degeneracies, i.e. words in which you know the positions of 4 letters but there are several candidates for the fifth position. At that point, I realized, sheer luck prevails and skill is thrown out the window. That didn't interest me so I abandoned hard mode.

Likes sbrothy, gmax137 and fresh_42
  • #1,343
kuruman said:
Yes, ORBIT must have been rejected because of the hard rules. I started out in hard mode but then I came across single degeneracies, i.e. words in which you know the positions of 4 letters but there are several candidates for the fifth position. At that point, I realized, sheer luck prevails and skill is thrown out the window. That didn't interest me so I abandoned hard mode.
I agree, there is skill in choosing the best "deciding" word.

EDIT: Especially since picking the "most used" of the candidate solutions is no good, because each of the 2400 or whatever words is equally likely.

• #1,344
And then... I sometimes fall prey to tht trap that one of the letters I already used can be used again. I have a hard time believnig that they made a mistake. On the other hand I'm a retired prgarmmer so Nothing really surprises my anymore in that world. :)

• #1,345
gmax137 said:
EDIT: Especially since picking the "most used" of the candidate solutions is no good, because each of the 2400 or whatever words is equally likely.
Not all ##N## words are equally likely. My understanding is that words are not reused. When ##N## puzzles have been published, it's bye-bye Wordle. If you have kept track of the used words since day ##1##, on day ##N## the probability that you will get it right with one try will be ##1##. I have not kept track of the used words, but I loaded the two lists on Excel and wrote VBA code to do the searches and the bookkeeping.

• Informative
Likes gmax137 and sbrothy
  • #1,346
kuruman said:
Not all ##N## words are equally likely. My understanding is that words are not reused. When ##N## puzzles have been published, it's bye-bye Wordle. If you have kept track of the used words since day ##1##, on day ##N## the probability that you will get it right with one try will be ##1##. I have not kept track of the used words, but I loaded the two lists on Excel and wrote VBA code to do the searches and the bookkeeping.
Well I'm glad we're not playing prices though. You sure you don't have too much spare time?! :P

• #1,347
I hate these constellations: 4 correct letters with many possible fifths.Wordle 629 6/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,348
Wordle 629 6/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,349
sbrothy said:

I'm not adhering to this priniple exactly though. I have a habit of starting with words such as

SQUAT
TOXIC
PAUSE
etc.

Even though technically X and Q are probally bad choices for starters.

You have any favorite start words?
Going with the Information Theory approach, starting with something with an X or Q has low probability of producing useful info (but when it does, it could be valuable)

PAUSE might not be a bad starter, since it has 3 vowels, and should yield information most of the time.

Last edited:
  • #1,350
scottdave said:
PAUSE might not be a bad starter, since it has 3 vowels, and should yield information most of the time.
I like to check "h" and "y" at an early stage. A lack of "h" automatically rules out "ch","sh","gh","th","wh" and a "y" at the end is also useful. Hard words are those with double occurrences and those where changing one letter allows many solutions.

Likes sbrothy
  • #1,351
Wordle 629 2/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yes, I did utilize the aforementioned
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
pattern which yielded a reduced set of only 177 words to choose from. The reduced set also limited my choices for my second guess from 3 to 1. I also used a seed word determined by this short list rather than one of my standard set.

Had I played my random seed today with no hints I would have gotten it in 3.

• #1,352
Wordle 629 3/6*

🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Weeee! :P

• #1,353
sbrothy said:
Wordle 629 3/6*

🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Weeee! :P
Started with VEZIR just to be contrary. :)

• #1,354
fresh_42 said:
I like to check "h" and "y" at an early stage. A lack of "h" automatically rules out "ch","sh","gh","th","wh" and a "y" at the end is also useful. Hard words are those with double occurrences and those where changing one letter allows many solutions.

I too find the double letter ones, especially vowels, particularly difficult.

• #1,355
kuruman said:

They'll probably introduce Wordle+ (2.0) with 6 letters.

Separering the wheat from the chaff. :)

• #1,356
Wordle 629 4/6

⬜🟦⬜⬜🟦
⬜🟦⬜🟧🟧
🟦⬜⬜🟧🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #1,357
sbrothy said:
I too find the double letter ones, especially vowels, particularly difficult.

2 Es are quite common though. Almost always worth a try.

Likes scottdave
  • #1,358
Wordle 630 3/6

🟨⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟨🟩🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,361
Wordle 630 3/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #1,362
Wordle 630 5/6*

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟨🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟨🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yeh, I think I'm gonna abandon hardmode too. It's sometimes more annoying than challenging.

• #1,363
Wordle 630 3/6

⬜🟦🟧⬜🟦
⬜🟦🟧🟦🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Likes scottdave
  • #1,365
Wordle 631 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩