Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 458K views
Wordle 613 5/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Looks like a lot of casualties in todays game.
Worst I've seen it since I started monitoring this closely (game 564).
I seriously doubt I'd have succeeded today without my spreadsheet.

Wordle 613.2023-02-22 at 00.45.51.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1, 0
2, 22
3, 107
4, 177
5, 74
6, 20
7, 0

N, 400
Οƒ, 0.931
ΞΌ, 3.908

note: Wordlebot says I got two games in one guess, but I removed them as one was illegitimate and the other was based on analysis of PF players patterns, which is also a bit illegitimate, but a lot of fun none the less.
 
Wordle 613 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦
⬜🟦⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟧🟦⬜
🟦🟦⬜⬜🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Nasty indeed.
OmCheeto said:
seriously doubt I'd have succeeded today without my spreadsheet.
Ditto.
 
1677081746943.png

##
\begin{align*}
N&=1090\\
\mu&=3.963\\
\sigma &=0.996
\end{align*}
##
Ignoring the fails only changes the numbers at the second decimal place.
 
gmax137 said:
Yes, this one just kind of made me mad...

Wordle 613 6/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

EDIT for @fresh_42 : 0, 2, 4, 9, 9, 2
Fails?

Assuming zero fails:

##
\begin{align*}
N&=1116\\
\mu&=3.969\\
\sigma &=0.997
\end{align*}
##
 
kuruman said:
How many adjustable parameters?
##f(x)=-2428+6149.667\,x-5847.181\,x^2+2676.687\,x^3-615.868\,x^4+68.646\,x^5-2.951\,x^6##
 
scottdave said:
What do you put in your spreadsheet @OmCheeto ?
Everything but the kitchen sink.

1. Random number generator that I use to pick one of ten seed words
2. Ranking seed number scores next to each word
3. List of legitimate answers
4. Column of played/not played solution numbers, 0 = not yet
5. Multiple columns used to filter out eliminated words

That was tab #1

Tab number 2:
Place for pasting all remaining viable answers
Used to predict the most probable solution word by summing of each letter in each column
Seldom works, but gets rid of a lot of the flotsam

Tab # 3:
Daily collection of 'bell curvy' analysis of games according to Wordlebot and me, starting with game # 564.

Tab #4
Almost never used list of legit and illegitimate solution words
Was invaluable yesterday/today to give me a word with 4 of the 5 letters I needed to find the solution:

VAMPS


Tab #5
One time analysis I finished just a couple of days ago because I was curious how many anagrams there were in the Wordle pool of solution words
short answer: there are 378 words on the list
My deeper question was how many anagrams generated 5x yellow sets:

OmCheeto said:
Wordle 602 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Another anagram! Has anyone determined how many there are in the game? If memory serves me right we've had one or two in the past.
The answer to that is 28.
fun example: canoe & ocean
There are also 6 sets of 4 words that are anagrams.
One example: crate, trace, cater, react

Tab #6
Hyper-analysis of game #573
48 hours of following a game from start to finish
Strange Things I discovered:
1. The flavor of the game is determined by the first thousand players in the first 3 hours
2. The NYT stops counting players at β‰ˆ666,000

Wordle 573 player count by hour. 2023-02-22 at 13.04.57.png


3. Days last 48 hours, and not the 24 hours they taught us in grade school
4. I can be awake every hour on the hour for 48 hours to type in numbers, almost.

WB 573. 2023-02-22 at 13.42.03.png
 
  • Wow
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: scottdave and gmax137
fresh_42 said:
##f(x)=-2428+6149.667\,x-5847.181\,x^2+2676.687\,x^3-615.868\,x^4+68.646\,x^5-2.951\,x^6##
Sure, but I don't understand in what sense this polynomial is useful. One can always fit 7 data points to any model with 7 adjustable parameters. All one has to do is solve a system of 7 equations and 7 unknowns.
 
kuruman said:
Sure, but I don't understand in what sense this polynomial is useful. One can always fit 7 data points to any model with 7 adjustable parameters. All one has to do is solve a system of 7 equations and 7 unknowns.
This thread is mainly fun. And I found it funny how that curve looks like. And it tells a lot about the distribution, too.

Wordle 614 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟩⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩