Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,782 replies · 460K views
Physics news on Phys.org
sbrothy said:
I'm about to abandon mine, "ADIEU". It gives me consistently bad results of late.
I always use AROSE. It gives you information about two very common consonants and three vowels. The next guess sort of becomes second nature as you know which of those three vowels and two consonants are or are not part of the solution. Unfortunately language was never a skill that came naturally to me. I scored 720 on the math part of the SAT but 530 on the verbal. This was around 1972.
 
Mister T said:
I always use AROSE. It gives you information about two very common consonants and three vowels. The next guess sort of becomes second nature as you know which of those three vowels and two consonants are or are not part of the solution. Unfortunately language was never a skill that came naturally to me. I scored 720 on the math part of the SAT but 530 on the verbal. This was around 1972.

I'd like to try that SAT-thingy. I guess it'd be cheating now with all the years of experience and all. In Denmark we don't really have an equivalent.
 
sbrothy said:
I'd like to try that SAT-thingy. I guess it'd be cheating now with all the years of experience and all. In Denmark we don't really have an equivalent.
It's taken before enrolling in college, so, yes.
 
sbrothy said:
I'd like to try that SAT-thingy.
There are sample / practice tests online, so you can go ahead and try it.
sbrothy said:
I guess it'd be cheating now with all the years of experience and all.

I understand it has changed quite a bit in the ~50 years since I took it, but back then it was kind of like an IQ test, more about thinking than regurgitating factoids. Looking at a few sample questions now (for the current test), I think life experience would help you, more than it would have in the test as I remember it.
 
That was my thought. I've been through 2 serious IQ tests in my life. The military and 1 for employment at Maersk. I never got to hear the results but I was accepted on both occasions. I'm not so arrogant to think I'm in the middle of the bell curve though. I'm pretty sure I'm not Mensa-material. ;)
 
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 857 2/6

🟨🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Well, that wasn't very challenging.
It will be challenging tonight when they use the other word! :-p
 
fresh_42 said:
It will be challenging tonight when they use the other word! :-p
What? Yesterday (Aug 23) I had _ E _ _ O and was stumped. Today I look up the solution and they say it' was VERVE. Are there two puzzles per day?
 
Mister T said:
What? Yesterday (Aug 23) I had _ E _ _ O and was stumped. Today I look up the solution and they say it' was VERVE. Are there two puzzles per day?
No. My comment had a specific context. You cannot understand it if you strip context.
 
Mister T said:
Yesterday (Aug 23)
maybe there's your problem, there? :cool: