Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,778 replies · 458K views
Physics news on Phys.org
sbrothy said:
I'm not really bring my A-game to say the least:

Wordle 848 6/6*

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
It depends a lot on your first guess. I have currently 3-4 seed words that haven't been used so far. I either choose to check a lot of vowels or I try to use an 'h'. The 'h' covers all words with 'th', 'wh', 'gh', 'ch', 'sh', or 'ph'. This can rule out a lot of possibilities or provide a hint. I also try to alternate sounds. If 'chime' has been on one day, then I will not test 'slime' on the next day.
 
Wordle 848 5/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

fresh_42 said:
I also try to alternate sounds. If 'chime' has been on one day, then I will not test 'slime' on the next day.
I follow this rule, too. Though it doesn't make sense to do so if the words are random, right?

fresh_42 said:
or I try to use an 'h'. The 'h' covers all words with 'th', 'wh', 'gh', 'ch', 'sh', or 'ph'. This can rule out a lot of possibilities or provide a hint.
This is a good idea.
 
Wordle 848 5/6*

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I've had bad luck for the last week or so. Just before that I had several days in a row with a score of 2 or 3. I always use the same starter word.
 
gmax137 said:
I follow this rule, too. Though it doesn't make sense to do so if the words are random, right?
Probably not. But the chance that the same sound happens twice in a row is small. However, I'm not really good at estimating probabilities, and it is a psychological thing, too.

We have a song about gambling. Not the Kenny Rogers style, but more about the addiction part of gambling. It is about someone being obsessed with 17 and basically ruining his life betting on it. Well, we once went to a casino with a group of students and someone constantly set money on 17. You bet that 17 came the moment after he disappointedly left the table!
 
Did you hear the story about the boy on his 11th birthday? His birthday was November 11, and his father took him to the racetrack as a present. They watched the horses running all morning, waiting for the 11th race. When it finally came, the boy bet $11 on horse number 11.

His horse came in 11th
 
Wordle 849 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

fresh_42 said:
Wordle 849 2/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I'm curious if you've set a world record over the last 11 days. And today makes 3 deuces in a row.
 
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 849 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩I'm curious if you've set a world record over the last 11 days. And today makes 3 deuces in a row.
I was lucky with my first words. E.g. I guessed 'tweak' when the solution was 'leaky'. To rearrange 'eak' such that it becomes still a valid word didn't leave me with many possibilities and testing 'y' at the end sounded like a good idea. But that doesn't affect my average numbers in almost 500 rounds. My mean went down to 4.16 from 4.2 and my standard deviation went up from 1.0... to 1.1...

There is a far more significant difference in my tries compared to those of native speakers. The words have less meaning to me so I could as well guess colors instead of letters. (Of course not, but it demonstrates the mechanism.) So whether a word is more common or not is irrelevant to me. That's why I was really bad at 'uncle' for example, although I am one! It would be interesting to know whether there are statistical tests that could reveal a difference between native and non-native speakers.
 
Last edited:
Wordle 849 2/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

fresh_42 said:
I was lucky with my first word
me too, at least today. Plus, the answer is kind of STEMy.
 
Mister T said:
Wordle 848 5/6*

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟨🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I've had bad luck for the last week or so. Just before that I had several days in a row with a score of 2 or 3. I always use the same starter word.

I'm about to abandon mine, "ADIEU". It gives me consistently bad results of late.
 
sbrothy said:
I'm about to abandon mine, "ADIEU". It gives me consistently bad results of late.
I use PIOUS if I want to cover a lot of vowels.
 
Wordle 852 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I made some stupid choices in words 2 and 3, putting the same (wrong) letter in spot 3. I guess I wasn't really awake yet.