1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Energy Loss; Electrostatics

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    Griffith's Problem 2.40 (a) and (b)

Suppose the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor move closer together by an infinitesimal distance ε, as a result of their mutual attraction.

a) Use

[tex]
    P= \frac{\epsilon_0}{2}E^2
    [/tex]

to express the amount of work done by the electrostatic forces, in terms of E and the area of the plates, A.

b) Use

[tex]
    \frac{\epsilon_0}{2}E^2 = energy per unit volume
    [/tex]

to express the energy lost by the field in this process.

I solved the problems in my (they're both the same answer in the answer key) way getting

[tex]
    \frac{(q^2)\epsilon}{2A\epsilon_0}
    [/tex]

But Griffiths doesn't do that, he doesnt even delve into what E is, which I solved ambiguously using A. His answer was:

[tex]
    \frac{\epsilon_0}{2}(E^2)A\epsilon
    [/tex]

Is it alright that I expanded my E?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, not really. The poblem demands that the answer be in terms of A and E.

However: was it specified whether the potential difference across the plates was kept constant, or was the voltage source used to charge the capacitor removed before the displacement took place? Makes a big difference ....

4. May 16, 2012 #3
    It didn't specify. What I posted was as much as he wrote in for the particular question. But the point you brought about about A and E was overlooked and that makes sense.

5. May 16, 2012 #4
    No, it makes a small difference (infinitesimally small, to be precise ;-P).

6. May 17, 2012 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, if you don't consider 2:1 as big, then OK, it makes no big difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook