Work and force (my answers keep being wrong please someone explain)

In summary: Also, be aware you are using two different units of mass. That is the conversion you are missing. In summary, a plane weighing 220 kN lands on an aircraft carrier at a velocity of 62 m/s. The arresting cables bring the plane to a stop in a distance of 88 m. To calculate the work done by the cables, we need to find the initial kinetic energy of the plane, which is equal to mv^2 / 2. However, since the plane lands with its engines at full throttle forward, this is an underestimate. To find the force exerted by the cables, we divide the kinetic energy by the distance over which the plane is brought to rest. This will also be an underestimate
bubba640
A plane weighing 220 kN (25 tons) lands on an aircraft carrier. The plane is moving horizontally at 62 m/s (139 mi/h) when its tailhook grabs hold of the arresting cables. The cables bring the plane to a stop in a distance of 88 m.
(a) How much work is done on the plane by the arresting cables?
MJ

(b) What is the force (assumed constant) exerted on the plane by the cables?
kN opposite the plane's direction of motion

(Note: Both answers will be underestimates, since the plane lands with the engines full throttle forward; in case the tailhook fails to grab hold of the cables, the pilot must be ready for immediate takeoff.)

how to do it

mass of the plane m = m kg
given velocity of the plane be = v m/sec
initial kinetic energy of the plane
K = mv^2 / 2
the work done by the cables in bringing the plane to rest
W = K
the force excerted by the cables
F = W / S
where S is the disatance over which the plane brought to rest .

My Work

first I converted kN to Kg by multiplying 220 kN by 101.97 kg= 22433.4 kg

then
KE= (22433.4kg)(62m/s)^2 / 2= 43116994.8

W=K but my answer was wrong

and then

43116994.8/88= 489965.85 which also was wrong

PLEASE EXPLAIN

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your unit conversions. I believe your error exists there. Remember Force is mass times the acceleration due to gravity. This mass you will need to find the kinetic energy.

I can provide a more detailed explanation of how to solve this problem. First, let's define the variables given in the problem:
- Mass of the plane (m): 220 kN or 22433.4 kg
- Initial velocity of the plane (v): 62 m/s
- Distance over which the plane is brought to rest (S): 88 m
- Force exerted by the cables (F): unknown

To solve for the work done by the cables, we can use the formula W = F * S, where W is the work, F is the force, and S is the distance. However, we do not know the force yet, so we need to solve for it first.

To find the force exerted by the cables, we can use the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the time it takes to change, which is the same as the initial velocity divided by the distance traveled (since the plane is brought to rest). So we can rewrite the formula as F = m * v / S. Plugging in the known values, we get:
F = (22433.4 kg) * (62 m/s) / (88 m) = 15946.3 N.
Note that this is the force exerted by the cables in the opposite direction of the plane's motion, as stated in the problem.

Now that we know the force, we can solve for the work done by the cables:
W = (15946.3 N) * (88 m) = 1.403 * 10^6 J, or 1.403 MJ.

To compare this to your answer, it seems like you may have used the incorrect units for mass (kg instead of kg*m/s^2) and velocity (m/s instead of m/s^2). Also, in your calculation for work, you used the incorrect formula, as you should have multiplied the force by the distance, not divided. I hope this explanation helps clarify the steps needed to solve this problem.

What is work?

Work is a measure of the amount of energy transferred when a force is applied over a certain distance. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which it is applied.

What is the unit for work?

The unit for work is joules (J). One joule is equal to the amount of work done when a force of one newton is applied over a distance of one meter.

What is force?

Force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to accelerate. It is measured in newtons (N).

What is the relationship between work and force?

Work and force are directly proportional to each other. This means that an increase in force will result in an increase in work, and vice versa. Mathematically, work = force x distance.

How is work related to energy?

Work is directly related to energy. When work is done, energy is transferred from one object to another. Work is a way of measuring the amount of energy transferred during a forceful interaction.