Calculating Final Speed with Given Work

In summary, the block has a mass of 4.00 kg and is traveling at a speed of 15.0 m/s. If 2.00 x 10^2 J of work is done on the block, its final speed will be 19.5 m/s. However, if -2.00 x 10^2 J of work is done on the block, its final speed will be 10.5 m/s. The equation used to calculate this is KE = 1/2mv^2.
markmil2002
1. A 4.00 kg block is traveling 15.0 m/s. (a) How fast is the block traveling if 2.00 x 10^2 J of work is done on the block? (b) If -2.00 x 10^2 of work is done on the block instead, what would be the final speed?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a KE = 4.5 x 10^2 + 2.0 x 10^2
b 4.5 x 10^2 J - 2.0 X 10^2

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

Also, the Advanced Physics forum is more for problems from upper level undergraduate (300-400 level) physics course. Please post problems like these in the Intro Physics Forum.

Well I got the question wrong with the work that I did, so I waned to know what I did wrong.

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another. It occurs when a force is applied to an object, causing it to move in the direction of the force.

2. How is work related to kinetic energy?

Work and kinetic energy are closely related. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when work is done on an object, its kinetic energy increases and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W represents work, F represents the force applied, and d represents the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

4. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 x m x v^2, where KE represents kinetic energy, m represents the mass of the object, and v represents the velocity of the object.

5. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This means that the work done on the object results in a decrease in its kinetic energy.