Work Done By a Gravitational Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done by the gravitational force on a refrigerator being pushed up a ramp of length d. The formula for work given in the book is mgdcos180, which is equivalent to -mgd. However, the horizontal component of gravity is mgsin(theta), making the work done by gravity equal to (mgsin(theta))(d)(cos180). The conversation also clarifies that work done by the gravitational force is the same as gravitational potential energy, just with opposite signs.
xdarkelf714x
Hi, I'm having trouble understanding this concept. A refrigerator is on a ramp of length d and it is being pushed up the ramp. What is the work done by the gravitational force? In the book it says mgdcos180 which is -mgd. I thought that the horizontal component of gravity was mgsin(theta) so the work done would by (mgsin(theta))(d)(cos180).

Also, is work done by the gravitational force difference than gravitational potential energy?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xdarkelf714x said:
Hi, I'm having trouble understanding this concept. A refrigerator is on a ramp of length d and it is being pushed up the ramp. What is the work done by the gravitational force? In the book it says mgdcos180 which is -mgd. I thought that the horizontal component of gravity was mgsin(theta) so the work done would by (mgsin(theta))(d)(cos180).
Assuming that d is the distance along the ramp and not the height, then you're correct. In terms of height (h), the work done by gravity is just F*S = -mgh, which is equivalent to -mgdsin(theta).

Also, is work done by the gravitational force difference than gravitational potential energy?
Same thing (just opposite sign).

Oh, I see it now. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

1. What is work done by a gravitational force?

The work done by a gravitational force is the amount of energy transferred when an object is moved against or in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the force's ability to do work on the object.

2. How is work done by a gravitational force calculated?

The work done by a gravitational force is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. The equation is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement.

3. Does the work done by a gravitational force depend on the mass of the object?

No, the work done by a gravitational force does not depend on the mass of the object. It only depends on the force of gravity and the displacement of the object.

4. Can work be negative when done by a gravitational force?

Yes, work done by a gravitational force can be negative. This occurs when the object moves in the opposite direction of the force of gravity, resulting in negative displacement. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative.

5. How is the work done by a gravitational force related to potential energy?

The work done by a gravitational force is directly related to the change in potential energy of an object. When an object is moved against or in the direction of the gravitational force, its potential energy increases. Conversely, when an object moves in the opposite direction of the force, its potential energy decreases.