Work done by an External force

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by an external force on an electron being transported from point A to point B in the presence of two point charges. The potential at points A and B are calculated by summing the potential from each charge and taking the difference between the two. When converted to eV, the calculated work done is approximately +920 eV. The conversation also clarifies the use of the constant e in the calculations.
victorializ

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 5.05.49 PM.png

Point charges, Q1 = +56 nC and Q2 = -98 nC, are placed as shown. In Figure 18.1a, an external force transports an electron from point A to point B. The work done by the external force is closest to:
A) +620 eV
B) -920 eV
C) -620 eV
D) +920 eV
E) +770 eV

Homework Equations

v= kq/r
W= e (Vb-Va)

The Attempt at a Solution

i know I'm doing this completely wrong. i tried to get the electric potential at A from charge 1 & 2 and then added them. i did the same for the electric potential at point b from charge 1 & 2 . once i had the summed potentials i found the difference and then multiplied by the charge of an electron .

for A[(9 x 10^9) x (56 x 10^-9)/.6] + [(9x 10^ 9) x (-98 x 10^-9)/1 ] = -42 V

for B : [(9 x 10^9) x (56 x 10^-9)/1] + [(9x 10^ 9) x (-98 x 10^-9)/.6] =-966

Vb-Va = -924 V
-924 x (1.6 x 10 ^-19 ) = -1.47 x 10 ^ -16 eV which is nowhere close. i must be approaching this the wrong way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method seems fine. What do you get for the potential at B and for the work done?

haruspex said:
Your method seems fine. What do you get for the potential at B and for the work done?

i just edited and added the rest of my calculations in the original thread post! i must be doing something wrong .
the answer is supposed to be D) +920 eV

Your calculated energy is measured in Joules. You want it measure in eV's so that you can compare it with the possible choices. Hint: do not plug in the value of the constant e. Leave it symbolically as e.

EDIT: also keep in mind that the charge of the electron is -e, not e.

dauto said:
Your calculated energy is measured in Joules. You want it measure in eV's so that you can compare it with the possible choices. Hint: do not plug in the value of the constant e. Leave it symbolically as e.

EDIT: also keep in mind that the charge of the electron is -e, not e.

so rather than multiplying it i would just leave my answer in joules but basically multiply by -1 because of -e which would leave me with about +920eV?

Last edited:
victorializ said:
so rather than multiplying it i would just leave my answer in joules but basically multiply by -1 because of -e which would leave me with about +920eV?

Yes except that you're not leaving your answer in Joules. You're leaving it in eVs. I assume that was a typo.

dauto said:
Yes except that you're not leaving your answer in Joules. You're leaving it in eVs. I assume that was a typo.

yes it was sorry haha. that makes sense thank you!

so why exactly don't you multiply it by the e constant?

victorializ said:
yes it was sorry haha. that makes sense thank you!

so why exactly don't you multiply it by the e constant?

You do multiply by the e constant symbolically at the unit. The unit of volts "V" times the constant "e" equal the unit electron-volts. Symbolically you have
e * Volt = electron-volt or
e V = eV.

dauto said:
You do multiply by the e constant symbolically at the unit. The unit of volts "V" times the constant "e" equal the unit electron-volts. Symbolically you have
e * Volt = electron-volt or
e V = eV.

oh wow okay that makes so much more sense ! thank you so much for all your help!

What is work done by an external force?

Work done by an external force is the amount of energy required to move an object from one position to another, against a force that opposes the motion.

How is work done by an external force calculated?

The work done by an external force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J), which is equal to one newton-meter (N·m).

Can work done by an external force be negative?

Yes, work done by an external force can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This indicates that the object has lost energy.

What are some real-life examples of work done by an external force?

Some examples of work done by an external force include pushing a shopping cart, lifting a book, and pulling a suitcase. Essentially, any time an object is moved by applying force, work is being done by an external force.