Work Done by Horse in 11.8 min: 190904 N*m

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trousers
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Trousers
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
horse power

A horse pulls a cart with a force of 180.0 N at and angle of 26.0o with respect to the horizontal and moves along at a speed of 6.0 km/hr. How much work does the horse do in 11.8 min?

ok I use the equation Fcos(theta)d=W

6km/hr=1.67m/s
11.8min=708s

so 708*1.67=1182 m 1182m *180N*cos(26)=190904 N*m which is wrong
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Trousers said:
A horse pulls a cart with a force of 180.0 N at and angle of 26.0o with respect to the horizontal and moves along at a speed of 6.0 km/hr. How much work does the horse do in 11.8 min?

ok I use the equation Fcos(theta)d=W

6km/hr=1.67m/s
11.8min=720s

so 720*1.67=1180 m 1180m *180N*cos(26)=190904 N*m which is wrong

what I am doing wrong?

Power is watts = N*m/s

Edit: Oh I see they want work. I was confused by your title.
 
Last edited:
Trousers said:
if I use 708 seconds it's still wrong

I see that it still works out to 1180.

Perhaps they want the answer in Joules, or KJ