1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by particle in a box in expanding the box?

1. Jan 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm given that the energy of a particle in a rectangular box is the following:

[tex]E =\frac{\hbar \pi^2}{2m}(\frac{n_x^2}{L_x^2}+\frac{n_y^2}{L_y^2}+\frac{n_z^2}{L_z^2})[/tex]

I'm to show that if the length of the box is increased adiabatically and quasistatically from L_x to 8L_x, the work done by the particle is 3/4 of the initial mean energy.

2. Relevant equations

The mean pressure exerted on the walls is
    [tex]p=\frac{2E}{3V}[/tex]
    where V is the volume of the box. The force on the wall parallel to the x-axis is given by
    [tex] \frac{-\partial E}{\partial L_x} = \hbar \pi^2n_x^2/mL_x^3[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried calculating the work by integrating pdV from 1 to 8 (since increasing one dimension by a factor of 8 increases the volume by the same) but I did not get the 3/4 I needed. There was a factor of ln(8) that could not possibly simplify to 3/4. Then I figured since the expansion is only happening in the x-direction, I can integrate F_xdL_x from 1 to 8 but I still didn't get the right answer. Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

If you are allowed to start with ##p = \frac{2E}{3V}##, then I think the result follows without needing the formula you gave in section 1 for the energy levels of a particle in a box.

The wording of the question is a little unclear to me. Are you meant to assume that the particle starts out in a definite energy eigenstate corresponding to some particular (but unspecified) values of ## n_x, n_y## and ##n_z##? If so, then I don't understand the phrase "3/4 of the initial mean energy". If the particle is initially in a specific energy eigenstate, then it seems to me that there is no need to use the word "mean" here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted