Work done on object vs work done by you

In summary: So, the work done on the mass is 100N multiplied by 3.0m.For question 2, what you do is exert a force, and the work done is the force multiplied by the distance moved. So, in this example, the work done by you is 100N multiplied by the distance moved, or 300mm.
rusty711
What is the difference between work done on an object and work done by you?

For example, you exert a 100N force pushing a 10kg mass 3.0m across the floor with a coefficient of friction 0.60
1) what is the work done on the mass?
2) what is the work done by you?

For question 1 I think it has to do with a change in kinetic energy, and 2 with kinetic energy and heat energy, but I'm not sure how to solve? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Work done by you is manifest as sweat.

But how do I solve these? What's the difference

You should be able to see the difference by doing the calculation. Start from the equation for work.
What is the total force on the mass? How far does it move?
What is the total force on "you"? How far do "you" move?

Basically: Things doing work lose energy.
I think what they want you to notice is that not all the work done by "you" is done on the mass.
Where else could your energy be going?

rusty711 said:
What is the difference between work done on an object and work done by you?

For example, you exert a 100N force pushing a 10kg mass 3.0m across the floor with a coefficient of friction 0.60
1) what is the work done on the mass?
2) what is the work done by you?

For question 1 I think it has to do with a change in kinetic energy, and 2 with kinetic energy and heat energy, but I'm not sure how to solve? Thanks!

The work done on the mass includes the work of all the forces, both yours and the force of friction (the work of the resultant force) which is equal to the change of kinetic energy.
Recall: work is force times displacement. Your work is equal to your force times the displacement of the mass.

1. What is the difference between work done on an object and work done by me?

Work done on an object refers to the energy transferred to the object by an external force to bring about a change in its state or position. On the other hand, work done by you refers to the energy expended by you to perform a task or move an object. In other words, work done on an object is external, while work done by you is internal.

2. How is work done on an object calculated?

Work done on an object is calculated by multiplying the force applied on the object by the distance over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. Can work done on an object be negative?

Yes, work done on an object can be negative. This occurs when the force applied on the object is in the opposite direction of its displacement. In this case, the work done on the object is considered as negative work, indicating that energy is being taken away from the object.

4. How does work done on an object affect its energy?

Work done on an object results in a change in its energy. If the work done is positive, the object gains energy, and if it is negative, the object loses energy. This is based on the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred from one form to another.

5. What is the significance of understanding work done on an object vs work done by me?

Understanding the concept of work done on an object vs work done by you is essential in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It helps in the analysis and prediction of the behavior of objects and systems, and in the calculation of their energy changes. It also allows for the optimization of energy usage and efficiency in various processes and technologies.