1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work/energy - spring and inclined plane

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An inclined plane of angle 20.0° has a spring force constant k = 500 N/m fastened securely at the bottom so that the spring is parallel to the surface (as shown in the attached photo). A block of mass m = 2.50kg is placed on the plane at a distance d = 0.300m from the spring. From this position, the block is projected towards the spring with speed v = 0.750m/s. By what distance is the spring compressed when the block momentarily comes to rest?

2. Relevant equations

K = 1/2 m * v2

Eelastic = Es = 1/2 k * x2

Eg = mgh

3. The attempt at a solution

I get a bit confused when handling all the different Energy/Work equations...
    But here's what I did:
    (my variable "x" is the distance that the spring displaces, and I tried to set my coordinate system so that the x-axis would be where the spring is at its compressed position but I'm not sure if I did it properly...)

Ugi + Usi + Ki = Ugf + Usf + Kf
    (2.50)(9.80)(0.300 + x)sin20 + 0 + 1/2*2.50*0.7502 = 0 + 1/2 * 500 * x2 + 0

However when I solve for x, I get the wrong value.

I think I may have set up my equations for gravitational potential energy incorrectly ... Or maybe I set the whole thing up wrong heh.

Attached Files:

• p63.png
      p63.png
      File size:
      4.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks perfect to me! ....maybe your math is off...recheck your numbers...

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    Bah, you're right, I had calculation errors -_-

But yay, that means I got it! Thanks for checking :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook