1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work-Energy Theorem with Line Integrals

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is to prove the work-energy theorem: Work is change in kinetic energy.

2. Relevant equations

Line integral stuff, basic physics stuff.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm given the normal definitions for acceleration, velocity and I'm given Newton's second law. I'm asked to show that ##\int_c{F \cdot dr}## leads to ##\frac{1}{2}mv(b)^2-\frac{1}{2}mv(a)^2## along an arbitrary path from a to b defined by ##\vec{r}##(t).

I'm stuck. I got to ##Work = m \int_c{ \frac{d \vec{v}}{d \vec{r}} \, \vec{v} \cdot \vec{v} \, dt}##, but I don't know how to proceed with that pesky dot product in the integrand, and without explicit functions to help me simplify, can anyone help?

Thanks a billion.

I'll post my work if it seems like I'm going the wrong way, but I don't know where I would be.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Dec 6, 2012 #3
    But without knowing an explicit formula for Force, how am I going to find a gradient field?

Also, I don't know that my Force field will be conservative, so I can't assume there will be a gradient curve.

5. Dec 6, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The statement of the result that you must prove makes me think that if a potential function [itex]\phi[/itex] exists, then [itex]\phi(c(t))=\frac{mv(t)^2}{2}[/itex]. Maybe you can use this as definition of your potential function??

6. Dec 6, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It has to be conservative since the line integral will be the same regardless of the path you take.

7. Dec 6, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The force doesn't have to be conservative. It's still true. F=ma. a=dv/dt. v=dr/dt. So dr=v*dt. F*dr=m*(dv/dt)*(v*dt). Integrate it. You are making a great deal out of nothing.

8. Dec 6, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Listen to Dick and ignore my posts. I should have known better than to post in a thread that involves physics. :redface:

9. Dec 6, 2012 #8
    This is more or less what I wrote down, but can I get away with acting like those dot products are multiplications?

To Micro: Don't worry :)

10. Dec 7, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not exactly. But if v is a vector then d(v.v)/dt=2*(dv/dt).v. You'll have to put in the dot products where I omitted them.

11. Dec 7, 2012 #10
    Ah, interesting, I can see where that would lead me. Thank you to the both of you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook