1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work in Adiabatic/ Isothermal and Piston

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is work greater in adiabatic or isothermal process?

A piston with oxygen has a final volume 1/4 the initial. The temperature is also 5 times greater. Determine pressure change, heat released or absorbed, and work done on or by gas.

2. Relevant equations

the work for adiabatic and isothermal. General w= -integral pdv, conservation of energy deltaV=Q+w

3. The attempt at a solution

I have derived the the expressions for work in both adiabatic and isotherm process from their integrals. ie:- Kln(vf/vi) and -k(vf1-gamma-vi1-gamma)/(1-gamma). But I'm not sure how to show that work in isothermal > adiabatic.

For the second part I'm just not sure how to take into account both temperature and pressure, and I can't assume that it's adiabatic/isothermal in the beginning. Any ideas?

Note: I did trying doing the double integral, dvdt....but i still only get an expression only.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2
    Consider a gas undergoing an isothermal and an adiabatic change both having the same change in volume and both starting from the same point on a PV diagram.
    Sketching the corresponding PV graphswill show which process has tha bigger work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook