Work of a Spring: Solve 24 N/m Stretched 0.24 m Problem

In summary, Diane tried to solve an exercise that asks how much work must be done to stretch a spring with a given spring constant, but she was not able to get the answer correct. She tried using the formula W=-.5 *k*X^2 but was not able to get it right. She then tried using the distances she wrote on the first post, but it said "Incorrect". After thinking about it, she realized that the first position of the spring should be considered as 0 and she applied the formula W=-.5 *k*X^2 which gave her the correct answer.
Electro
Hello everyone!
The problem I have is really easy, but something is confusing me.

A spring with spring constant 24 N/m is stretched 0.24 m from its equilibrium position. How much work must be done to stretch it an additional 0.072 m?

I used the formula : W = (1/2)*k(Xf^2 - Xi^2), (it came out negative) but the answer I get is not the correct one. For Xf I used 0.24+0.072 since that's the distance from the equilibrium position.
Can you please give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you use for xi?

Hi Diane,
For X1 I used 0.24 and as I said for Xf i used 0.24+0.072. I think that the work should be negative since the spring goes toward positive x-axis.
I am not really clear with the work on a spring because the chapter on the book was very brief and that other books I have used are really messy. So I think this should be easy. Thus I just applied the formula I first posted.

Anyone can give a hint?

Your method seems correct to me. Why do you say it comes out negative? You are finding the work done to stretch the spring: the force and the displacement are in the same direction, so the work is positive.

Perhaps you are making an arithmetic mistake.

Thanks Doc Al,
I apologize, the work is really positive. That's how I solved it.
I have to solve the exercise and submit the answer online. I have only 7 chances. So I tried for the first time using the formula and the distances I wrote on the first post. It said "Incorrect"; than I thought maybe work is negative (I knew it was positive) but still I tried once more and I came out
"Incorrect" again. Then I just considered the first position as 0 and I applied the formula W=-.5 *k*X^2 but I falied again.
I don't know what is wrong with this!

Are you stating the problem exactly as given? Are you using proper units in reporting your answer? Show your arithmetic and we can check it over for silly errors.

Thank you for the time Doc Al,

I wrote the problem exactly as written on the paper. k is 24 N/m and it is stretched 0.24 m from equilibrium. Then the question is; How much work must be done to stretch it and additional 0.072m? (Answer in J)
so : W = 0.5*24([0.24+0.072]^2 - 0.24^2)
W = 12 (0.312^2 - 0.24^2)
W= 12(0.097344 - 0.0576)
=12* 0.039744 = 0.476928 J
This is what I think it should be (which in fact it isn't).

Your answer looks correct to me. (I'd round it off, though.)

:cry: I realized that on Friday night the server had failed because I entered the same answer this morning and amazingly it said "Correct". I don't know what happened; probably a server break down.
Anyway thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is a spring?

A spring is a flexible object that is designed to store and release mechanical energy as it is stretched or compressed.

2. What does the unit N/m mean?

The unit N/m stands for newtons per meter, which is the standard unit for measuring the stiffness or spring constant of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch the spring by one meter.

3. How do you solve a problem involving a spring?

To solve a problem involving a spring, you need to use Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

4. What is the significance of the given values in the problem?

The given values in the problem, 24 N/m and 0.24 m, represent the spring constant and the displacement, respectively. These values are necessary in order to solve the problem and determine the amount of force exerted by the spring.

5. Can this problem be solved using other units?

Yes, this problem can be solved using other units as long as they are consistent with each other. For example, the spring constant can also be given in units of pounds per inch (lb/in) and the displacement can be given in inches (in). The important thing is to make sure that all units are converted to the standard units before solving the problem.