1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work out the velocity from the momentum?

1. Oct 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does anyone know if it is possible to work out the velocity from the momentum?
    206Kg ms^-1 is the momentum... thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

do you have the mass?
  4. Oct 19, 2007 #3
    no i dont have the mass just the mometum
  5. Oct 19, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Then it's impossible to get the velocity... the velocity could be anything...

momentum = mv
    v = momentum/m

plug in difference m's and you get different v's...
  6. Oct 19, 2007 #5
    thanks for the formula.... if two skaters collide 1 has 75kg mass (180kg ms^-1 momentum) and the other has 60kg mass (100 kg ms^-1 momentum) than the total size of momentum before the collision would be 206 kg ms^-1 right? I want to calculate the velocity of 206kg ms^-1 thanks
  7. Oct 19, 2007 #6
    i made these mass's up
  8. Oct 19, 2007 #7

Homework Helper

How do you get 206?

you need to consider direction also... if they collide I assume they're going in opposite directions?

Then if the momentum of the first is 180, and the other is 100 in the opposite direction... I'll call it -100 taking the direction of the 1st skater as positive...

so total momentum = 180 + (-100) = 80kg*m/s

So total momentum after the collision is also 80kgm/s by conservation of momentum.

Now once they collide are they sticking together? Then using the definition of momentum and a total mass of 75kg+60kg... you can solve for the velocity using the momentum of 80kgm/s.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?