Numerical approach to the spring force of a bowstring (Not Hooke's Law)

In summary: You'll need to keep track of the power P = F*v at each step, too - and then just graph that vs t. In summary, The conversation discusses a bowstring's force on an arrow and its function as a drawback distance. The force is given by F(x) = -k1x - k2x|x| and the constants k1 and k2 have dimensions of [M]/[T]² and M/([L][T]²), respectively. For an archer pulling back the arrow with a force of 310 Newtons, the pull back length is found to be -0.60 meters. The release speed of a 34 gram arrow is then calculated numerically, using a time-step
Verdict

Homework Statement

Assume the spring force of a bowstring acting on an arrow does not follow Hooke’s Law because the bow’s material becomes more rigid as it is drawn back. The string’s force as a function of the drawback distance in meters is:
F(x) = -k1x -k2x|x|
where positive x is along the eventual direction of flight, x=0 in the bow’s relaxed position, and we write x|x| instead of x2 in order to account for the direction of that force term.

A: If the force is given in Newtons, what must be the dimensions of constants k1 and k2?

B: In these units, the values for k1 and k2 are 390 and 215, respectively.
If the force an archer can apply to pull back the arrow is 310 Newtons, what is the pull back length the archer can maintain as she aims the bow?

C: Assuming the archer holds the bow handle in a fixed position and assuming all other forces acting on the arrow are negligible to that from the bowstring, what will be the release speed of a 34 gram arrow?

(NOTE: You will need to perform this calculation numerically, similarly to our free-fall with drag problems in class. You should use a time-step small enough such that choosing a time-step of one tenth that value results in less than a 1% change in the answer of release velocity.)

D: Using your numerical model, calculate and make a graph of the power as a function of time for the arrow release.

E: Finally, what is the work done on the arrow by the bowstring? You should numerically integrate the power curve to obtain one answer, and compare this answer to that found through the relation between work and change in kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

A: F=ma
B: -

The Attempt at a Solution

A: What I did here is assume that F has the dimensions [M]*[L]/[T]², so that both k1x and k2x|x| had these dimensions as well, giving k1 the dimension [M]/[T]² and k2 the dimension M/ ([T]²*[L]

B: I just filled the numbers in and calculated the answer, being x = -0,60.

C: This is where I start having trouble. How do I approach this? What I did was make an excel spreadsheet, where I calculated F(x) for every X between -0,60 and 0, using steps of 0,01X. I then calculated W(x) for every F(x), using the fact that W(x) is the integral of F(x) * dx. I then summed all these W(x) values and used -W(x) = 1/2mv², finding v. I'm however not sure that this is the correct way of approaching this issue, as I have no idea how to use this to answer question D, and question E sounds a lot like what I already did. Could someone help me out here? I'd be eternally grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like they're expecting you to integrate by time-steps rather than x-steps. This is borne out by part D, where you want a power versus time plot.

For a 'primitive' integration, for each "tick" of size Δt you can calculate the acceleration a at the current x position from the force function, then Δv = a*Δt and Δx = Δv*Δt. Update t = t + Δt, v = v + Δv, x = x + Δx at each step. Finish when x [itex]\geq[/itex] 0.

1. What is a numerical approach to the spring force of a bowstring?

The numerical approach to the spring force of a bowstring involves using mathematical calculations and simulations to determine the force exerted by a bowstring when it is stretched. This method takes into account factors such as the material properties of the string, the geometry of the bow, and the amount of stretch.

2. How does the numerical approach differ from Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a simple linear relationship that states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount it is stretched. The numerical approach takes into account non-linear factors such as the stiffness of the bowstring and the varying elasticity of different materials.

3. What are the benefits of using a numerical approach for studying bowstring forces?

Using a numerical approach allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the forces at play in a bowstring. It also allows for the exploration of different materials and designs in a virtual setting, reducing the need for costly and time-consuming physical testing.

4. Are there any limitations to the numerical approach?

One limitation of the numerical approach is that it relies on accurate input data and assumptions, which may not always reflect real-world conditions. Additionally, this method may not account for all possible variables and can only provide an approximation of the actual forces experienced by a bowstring.

5. How can the results obtained from the numerical approach be applied in real-world scenarios?

The results from the numerical approach can be used to optimize the design of a bowstring for maximum performance and efficiency. It can also aid in the development of new materials and technologies for bowstring construction. Additionally, the insights gained from this method can inform the techniques and strategies used by archers in their sport.