1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Problem/Graph Given/Find final velocity.

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The graph shows the net external force component F cos θ along the displacement as a function of the magnitude of the displacement s. The graph applies to a 65 kg ice skater.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3441/0671.gif [Broken]

(a) How much work does the net force component do on the skater from 0 to 3.0 m?
    93 Joules (Correct)

(b) How much work does the net force component do on the skater from 3.0 m to 6.0 m?
    0 Joules (Correct)

(c) If the initial speed of the skater is 2.4 m/s when s = 0, what is the speed when s = 6.0 m?

2. Relevant equations

W=F(Δx)
    KE=.5mv2

3. The attempt at a solution

For part C.

Here is my attempt.

Firstly, I do not understand the reason that FCosΘ was used as a Force instead of simply F, due to the way the graph is drawn, I chose to simply represent it as F, which may have been my mistake, but I doubt that.

I know the WorkTotal done on the skater was 93 Joules. So I thought that perhaps the change in Kinetic Energy would be equivalent to 93 Joules, allowing me to solve for Vf.

So I tried that below.

FCosΘ=31N

W=FCosΘ(Δx)

FCosΘ(Δx)=.5mvf2-.5mvi2

.5mvf2=FCosΘ(Δx)+5mvi2

vf2=(2(FCosΘ(Δx))/m) + vi2

which means to solve for vf I would use.

vf=((2(FCosΘ(Δx))/m)0.5)+vi

Yet that answer is wrong. I think my concept of this problem is wrong..

For Δx I used 3 instead of 6, since the force drops off to zero and the environment is frictionless, so it shouldn't make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Your last step is wrong.
    Check it.

4. Apr 6, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Seems a little complicated.

W = ΔKE

What is the initial KE?

Just add the Joules from a) and then solve for velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook