Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Work Question - Is something missing?

1. Jun 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the work done accelerating a 2.0 kg object from 2.0 m/s to 3.0 m/s.

mass=2.0 kg
    Initial Velocity= 2.0 m/s
    Final Velocity= 3.0 m/s

2. Relevant equations
    Work=applied force x displacement

3. The attempt at a solution
    Correct me, if I am wrong, but don't I need a bit more information to answer this question? This was all the information given to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi Sabellic,

No, that's all you need. The equation you listed is true; however, there is another equation that involves work and velocity. What is it?

4. Jun 26, 2008 #3
    Hmmmm. I don't know. The only thing that I can conjure up is that the work can be equivalent to (mass/acceleration) * (final velocity^2 - initial velocity^2)/2 * a^2

But that doesnt work because i dont have the acceleration.

5. Jun 26, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

That's so close! But it needs to be:

(mass/acceleration) * (final velocity^2 - initial velocity^2)/2 * a

and so the accelerations will cancel.

Then notice that what you have left is:

(1/2) m vf^2 - (1/2) m vi^2

Does that look more familiar? What are those terms? Once you have that, you will have the important equation that you need to know.

6. Jun 26, 2008 #5
    Oh God you're right. I wrote (mass/acceleration) instead of mass * acceleration. So yes, they would cancel out. Thanks a lot for this. So it will be 5 Joules, I think.

7. Jun 26, 2008 #6

alphysicist

Homework Helper

That's good, but you don't want to have to derive that important formula every time. The way to think about it is

total work = change in kinetic energy

(where total work includes all conservative and non-conservative work).

Since kinetic energy is (1/2) m v^2, you could write down the relation you need right away.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook