Momentum problem: 2 carts, finding initial speed

In summary: In other words, you must take into account both the magnitude and direction of the momentum for each object before and after the collision.In summary, when solving this problem, you should use the equation p=mv to calculate the momentum of each object before and after the collision, taking into account the fact that the momentum is a vector quantity and must be added up properly.
emily081715

Homework Statement

A 2.0-kg cart collides with a 1.0-kg cart that is initially at rest on a low-friction track. After the collision, the 1.0-kg cart moves to the right at0.50 m/s and the 2.0-kg cart moves to the right at0.30 m/s .If the positive direction is to the right, what was the initial velocity of the 2.0-kg cart?

Homework Equations

i know that it is a momentum problem so i am assuming we will use p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

i originally tried solving for the initial velocity by setting the equation up like this; m1(v2-v1)= m2(v2-v1). when plugging in all the variables and isolating for V1 of the 2.0kg cart i got 0.05 m/s. that is not the correct answer and i am unsure is i missed steps or am doing the problem completely wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
emily081715 said:
m1(v2-v1)= m2(v2-v1)
Is momentum conserved if this equation is fulfilled? The equation states that both carts get the same change in momentum.

Also, it is not clear what you mean by v1 and v2.

Orodruin said:
Is momentum conserved if this equation is fulfilled? The equation states that both carts get the same change in momentum.

Also, it is not clear what you mean by v1 and v2.
i mean intial velocity for V1 and finial velocity for V2. truthfully i am very confused how to go about this problem

emily081715 said:
i mean intial velocity for V1 and finial velocity for V2. truthfully i am very confused how to go about this problem
Well, you have two objects with velocity before and after so this notation is still ambiguous. I suggest you try to think of what I said in the previous post.

What is the final momentum of the two carts?

Chestermiller said:
would the final momentum
Chestermiller said:
would the final momentum be 1.1? i added the momentum of each cart after the collision

emily081715 said:
would the final momentum be 1.1? i added the momentum of each cart after the collision
In the units being used, yes. But you should always specify the units.

emily081715 said:
would the final momentum

Okay. Now if V is the initial velocity of the mass that is moving, in terms of V, what is the initial momentum of the combination of two masses?

Chestermiller said:
Okay. Now if V is the initial velocity of the mass that is moving, in terms of V, what is the initial momentum of the combination of two masses?
i'm a little confused by the question. wouldn't the initial momentum have to be 1.1 for the initial since the one cart is at rest? so is the initial then 1.1?

emily081715 said:
i'm a little confused by the question. wouldn't the initial momentum have to be 1.1 for the initial since the one cart is at rest? so is the initial then 1.1?
Okay. Now, what did its velocity have to be for this to be its initial momentum?

Chestermiller said:
Okay. Now, what did its velocity have to be for this to be its initial momentum?
would it need to be 0.55?

actually that's the correct answer, thanks for the help and helping me through

emily081715 said:
Please use units. The number 1.1 has no meaning as a momentum without a specification of the units used. They could be kg m/s (as they should here), but without specifying we cannot know this and you may as well be referring to solar masses * light years / hour.

Always specify the units!

Khan academy has many good videos on physics. Here's a list of the ones related to momentum:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/linear-momentum

Perhaps after reviewing them the problem will be come easier to solve.

As Orodruin has said earlier, in physics you must pay attention to the units of measure and you must specify them each time you write down a number otherwise that number is meaningless. You can't work with the numbers until the units are common and properly accounted for.

In your case, the preferred units of measure are meter, kilogram and second (MKS system).

The key point of this problem is that momentum is conserved before and after the collision. Hence the total momentum of the objects before the collision must match the total momentum of the same objects after the collision. Also momentum is a vector quantity meaning you must vectorially add it up before and after.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, where there is no external force acting on the objects, the total momentum of the system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What is the equation for calculating momentum?

The equation for momentum is: momentum (p) = mass (m) x velocity (v).

4. How do you calculate the initial speed of an object using momentum?

To calculate the initial speed of an object, you can use the equation: initial speed (u) = final speed (v) - (momentum of second object (p2) / mass of first object (m1)).

5. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative if the direction of an object's velocity is opposite to its initial direction. In this case, the momentum would have a negative value, indicating that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial motion.