1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this ratio/proportionality question?

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    The Moon's gravitational pull on the Earth causes the ocean tides. Show that the gravitational pull of the Moon on the Earth's oceans is approximately 3 millionths of the gravitational pull of the Earth on its oceans. Assume that the distance from the Earth to the Moon is 380,000 km.
    Other given/worked out previously: mass of moon = 7.35 x10^22kg, surface gravitational field strength of the moon: 1.62Nkg^-1, radius of the moon = 1740km (3sf)

g at the earth's surface is 9.8.
    g at moon's surface I worked out using the formula g = GM/r^2,g * mass of moon/ distance from moon to earth sqred = 3.40x10^-5 (3sf)

My big problem is the ratios. How do I show that its 3/1000000 of the grav. pull of the Earth? I know that grav pull of the earth on oceans will be 9.8 and the moon on the ocean will be 3.40x10^-5, but I just simply do not know how to do physics ratio questions whatsoever. I am terrible at them... How do I approach ratio/ proportionality question such as this one? What is the process?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2
    You're nearly there, what do you get if you divide the moon's pull on the ocean, by the Earth's?

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3
    Okay that was too easy. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted