Work required to pump water out of a conical tank

In summary, the task is to find the work required to empty a 10m high conical tank with a radius at the top of 4m by pumping the water out the top of the tank, with the water level at 2m below the top of the tank. The solution involves using the formula for the radius of the cone as a function of distance from the top, and finding the volume of each small slice using the formula for the volume of a cone. This volume is then multiplied by the distance and integrated from x = 2 to x = 10 to get the GPE of the water before it is pumped. This GPE is then compared to the GPE of the water if it was all at the top
jollyrancher

Homework Statement

Find the work required to empty a 10m high conical tank with a radius at the top of 4m by pumping the water out the top of the tank. The water level is 2m below the top of the tank.

Homework Equations

[itex]\pi r^2[/itex]

Similar triangles

The Attempt at a Solution

General formula for the radius:

[itex]\frac{4}{10} = \frac{r}{(10-x)}[/itex] where x = distance from the top of the tank.

[itex]r = \frac{2}{5}(10-x)[/itex]

Therefore, the volume of any given slice [itex]= \pi(\frac{2}{5}(10-x))^2\Delta x[/itex]

This is where I get a bit confused. What do I need to multiply my volume formula by when I integrate from x = 2 to x = 10?

Also, after I have multiplied my volume by the whatever I need to (distance?) and integrated between 2 and 10, have I pumped the water out the top of the barrel or only to the top of the water level? Do I need to add +2m to something somewhere?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its actually a tricky question, which is maybe why there are no replies yet. You have the right answer for the radius of the cone as a function of x. (As long as you remember the units you are using, since strictly the 10 should be 10m).

And you have correctly given the volume of a small slice. And you are right, you need to multiply by x before you do the integration. (Or maybe you should multiply by -x, since your coordinate system is upside-down). Also, you need to multiply by the density and g to get the correct units for energy.

So once you've done this, you will have the GPE of the water before it is pumped. You can then work out what the GPE would be if all the water was at the top of the barrel (easy, since it is all at the same height). Then subtract one GPE by the other GPE to get the change in GPE.

1. How is the work required to pump water out of a conical tank calculated?

The work required to pump water out of a conical tank is calculated using the formula W = ρghV, where ρ is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the water in the tank, and V is the volume of water being pumped out.

2. Does the shape of the conical tank affect the amount of work required to pump water out?

Yes, the shape of the conical tank does affect the amount of work required to pump water out. The wider the base of the tank, the greater the volume of water that needs to be pumped out, resulting in more work being required.

3. How does the height of the water in the tank impact the work required to pump it out?

The height of the water in the tank directly affects the work required to pump it out. The higher the water level, the greater the potential energy of the water, resulting in more work needed to overcome this energy and pump the water out.

4. Is the work required to pump water out of a conical tank affected by the speed of the pump?

Yes, the speed of the pump can impact the work required to pump water out of a conical tank. A faster pump may require more work to overcome the force of gravity on the water and move it out of the tank.

5. How does the density of the water being pumped impact the work required?

The density of the water being pumped does not have a direct impact on the work required, as it is already accounted for in the formula. However, denser water may require a stronger pump or more energy to pump it out, indirectly affecting the work required.