Work to pump out air from cylinder

In summary, the question is how much work is needed to pump out air from an air tank with known length and cross-section area, and the suggested formula for solving it is W = pV, where V is equal to the product of the length and cross-section area, and p is the pressure, which can be assumed to be 1 atm in this case.
Stefan

Homework Statement

[/B]
I know only the length (l) and cross-section area (S) of an air tank, cylinder. The question is how much work is needed to pump out air from the cylinder.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it correct to use here the formula
W = pV?
The initial pressure isn't defined in the content of the task, so I am also wondering if I can use as it the atmospheric pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by cylinder ?

An air tank or the working cylinder of an air pump ?

Air tank.

Stefan said:

Homework Statement

I know only the length (l) and cross-section area (S) of an air tank, cylinder. The question is how much work is needed to pump out air from the cylinder.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
Is it correct to use here the formula
W = pV?
The initial pressure isn't defined in the content of the task, so I am also wondering if I can use as it the atmospheric pressure.
There may be more than one answer to this question, but the method I have in mind would definitely agree with your answer: Work = pV, V = Sl, p = 1 at.

What is the purpose of pumping out air from a cylinder?

The purpose of pumping out air from a cylinder is to create a vacuum inside the cylinder. This vacuum can then be used for various applications such as removing air from a sealed container or creating suction for a vacuum pump.

How does pumping out air from a cylinder work?

Pumping out air from a cylinder involves using a pump or other mechanical device to remove air molecules from the cylinder, creating a low pressure environment. This is typically achieved by creating a seal between the pump and the cylinder and then using the pump to remove air molecules through a one-way valve.

What are the benefits of using a vacuum pump to pump out air from a cylinder?

The use of a vacuum pump to pump out air from a cylinder offers several benefits. These include the ability to create a precise level of vacuum, which can be useful for specific applications, as well as the ability to remove air quickly and efficiently.

What factors should be considered when pumping out air from a cylinder?

When pumping out air from a cylinder, it is important to consider factors such as the desired level of vacuum, the type and size of the cylinder, the type of pump being used, and the duration of the pumping process. It is also important to ensure that the pump and cylinder are properly sealed to prevent air from entering.

Are there any safety precautions to take when pumping out air from a cylinder?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when pumping out air from a cylinder. These include wearing protective gear, such as safety glasses, ensuring proper ventilation in the area, and following all manufacturer instructions for the pump and cylinder. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the pump and cylinder to prevent any potential hazards.