Working as a Medical Physicist in Australia

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of immigrating to Australia and working as a Medical Physicist. The person has a bachelor's degree in Physics and a MSc and PhD in Medical Physics, and has been working as a medical physicist in Greece for 14 years. They are seeking information about the salary and requirements for working as a medical physicist in Australia. The Austanasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine is suggested as a resource, and certification by recognized bodies is often required for positions in radiation oncology physics. The person also mentions having experience in radiation oncology physics.
Kostas D
Hallo everyone,
I am a new member at Physics Forums.

I am considering immigrating with my family to Australia and work as a Medical Physicist. My bachelor degree is in Physics and I have MSc and PhD in Medical Physics. I am currently working in Greece as a medical physicist (for the last 14 years) in a nuclear medicine & PET/CT department.

I would to ask if anyone know not one the salary for medical physicist in Australia but what are all the necessary requirements you have to meet in order to work there.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kostas,

The best place to look is probably The Austanasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine. My experience with medical physics "down under" is limited to a couple friends who have worked there. Certification by the ACPSEM, or an equivalently recognized body (such as the ABR or CCPM) is usually listed for advertised postions in radiation oncology physics. I'm not sure if the same requirements are needed for nuclear medicine.

Choppy thank you very much for the quick reply. I have also experience in radiation oncology physics since my MSc is a 3 years course which includes radiation protection, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy (radiation oncology).

1. What is a Medical Physicist and what do they do?

A Medical Physicist is a specialized scientist who applies the principles of physics in the field of medicine. They work with healthcare professionals to ensure safe and effective use of radiation in medical procedures such as diagnostic imaging and radiation therapy. They also play a crucial role in quality assurance and radiation safety in healthcare settings.

2. What education and training is required to become a Medical Physicist in Australia?

In order to become a Medical Physicist in Australia, one must have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, followed by a postgraduate degree in medical physics. The postgraduate degree must be accredited by the Australasian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine (ACPSEM). Additionally, one must complete a supervised clinical training program and pass a certification exam to become certified as a Medical Physicist.

3. What is the job market like for Medical Physicists in Australia?

The job market for Medical Physicists in Australia is currently very competitive, with a high demand for qualified professionals. However, the job market can vary depending on the specific location and type of healthcare facility. It is recommended to research the job market in the desired location and network with other Medical Physicists to increase job prospects.

4. What are the average salaries for Medical Physicists in Australia?

According to the ACPSEM, the average salary for a Medical Physicist in Australia is around $100,000 - $150,000 AUD per year. However, this can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and type of healthcare facility.

5. What are the challenges and rewards of working as a Medical Physicist in Australia?

One of the main challenges of working as a Medical Physicist in Australia is the high level of responsibility and pressure that comes with ensuring the safe and effective use of radiation in healthcare. It also requires continuous learning and staying up-to-date with advancements in technology and research. However, the rewards of making a positive impact on patients' lives and contributing to the advancement of medical technology make it a highly fulfilling and rewarding career choice for many individuals.