Working for one year between BSc and MSc?

In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of pursuing a Master's degree immediately after completing a Bachelor's degree versus gaining industry experience for a year. Some advantages of working for a year include earning a steady income and gaining a broader perspective in the field. However, there is also the risk of getting used to the income and potentially losing motivation for further education. It is suggested that taking a break or saving money may be a reason for working for a year, but it ultimately depends on the individual's goals and circumstances. Additionally, it is mentioned that being a student may provide advantages for starting a startup, and securing internships during university can be beneficial for future job opportunities. Personal experiences with taking a break between degrees are also shared.
Max.Planck
Hi all,

What is your opinion, is it smarter to continue with a MSc immediately after the BSc or working for one year to gain industry experience? By work, I mean work closely related to the field of the BSc.

Max.Planck

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's so much a case of one path being objectively better than the other. There are advantages and disadvantages to each and those are going to sum differently depending on individual circumstances.

By working for a year, you have the advantage of earning a nice paycheque. You might pay off some debt, or bank some money for when you're in grad school. If you're lucky enough to stay inside your field, you also gain a broader perspective than one that's limited by academia. However, you can get used to that steady income, and there is the risk of intellectual atrophe.

My goal is to eventually continue in academia or maybe begin a startup, I thought maybe working for one year will be good for my resume when applying for a PhD position. I'm studying CS btw.

So you're planning on getting your undergrad done in CS then work for a year and then go for your graduate work in CS? If that's the case, you might be better off just continuing without interruption.

But like Choppy said, it depends on the person. Perhaps you want to take a break or save money or maybe deep down inside you might not want to go to graduate school since it does not take a graduate degree to begin a startup.

Thanks for your opinions.

I think its easier to begin a startup in university because of support you get as a student (free legal advice, access to funding, cheap work space and the ties of the university with industry).

@OP: can you secure summer internships? My youngest nephew did that when in Chem E, and had a great job waiting for him when he graduated.

I have nothing planned yet, but this might be a good option too.

I worked for 4 years between my BS and my current PhD. I graduated with zero debt from my undergrad so going to grad school wasn't out of the question but I was sick of school and living in poverty so I got a job. I saved up an insane amount of money over those 4 years so now I don't feel like I'm living as a grad student which is nice for my stress levels. Plus it gave me experience so when I have to go back out and work my resume isn't filled with strictly academia junk.

What are the benefits of working for one year between a BSc and MSc?

Working for one year between a BSc and MSc can provide several benefits, such as gaining practical experience in your field, developing new skills, networking with professionals, and earning money to support your further education.

Will taking a break from academics affect my chances of getting into a good MSc program?

Taking a break from academics to work for one year will not necessarily affect your chances of getting into a good MSc program. In fact, having work experience can strengthen your application and show your dedication and commitment to your field of study.

What types of jobs should I consider during this one-year break?

The type of job you should consider during your one-year break between a BSc and MSc will depend on your field of study and career goals. You may want to look for internships or entry-level positions in your field, or consider jobs that offer transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, and problem-solving.

Can I still pursue research opportunities while working for one year between a BSc and MSc?

Yes, it is possible to pursue research opportunities while working for one year between a BSc and MSc. You may want to consider part-time research positions or volunteering at a research institution to gain experience and enhance your skills.

How can I make the most out of my one-year work experience?

To make the most out of your one-year work experience, you should actively seek out opportunities for learning and growth. This can include taking on challenging projects, networking with professionals in your field, and reflecting on how your work experience aligns with your career goals.