1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working out how many complete waves are sent out.

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A source of light emits a train of waves lasting 0.04 μs. The light has a wavelength of 600nm and the speed of light is 3×108ms-1. How many complete waves are sent out?
    a)2.0×107
    b)4.5×107
    c)2.0×1010
    d)4.5×1013

2. Relevant equations
    f=v/wavelength (sorry, I couldn't find the wavelength symbol)

T=1/f

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, this is what I tried:
    f=v/wavelength
    f=3×108/600×10-9
    f=0.0005

T=1/f
    T=1/0.0005
    T=2000

then I did:
    0.04×10-6/2000

=2×1010

Which was so close to one of the answers; frustrating! Could somebody please explain to me what to do? It's driving me crazy. I'm finding it hard to carry on with the rest of the assignment because I keep going back to that question and staring at it, willing my brain to work!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2

You entered this into the calculator wrong. Watch your parenthesis.

A big clue that something is wrong is that you have a period of 2000 s. If light has a really small wavelength and a fast speed, does it make sense that it should take over half an hour for one wave cycle?

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    A-HA!
    Thank you! I now get the answer 2×107.
    Yeah, I did look at the 2000s and think that was a tad wrong...
    I'm now torn between being pleased that I knew how to work out the answer and the dismay of not being able to use a calculator.
    Thank you again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook