Working Out Shaft Torque in a Stirred Tank with a Cylindrical Shape

In summary, the conversation discusses the generation of an agitated volume, or cavern, around an impeller in non-Newtonian fluids. The boundary of this cavern is defined by setting the shear stress equal to the yield stress and calculating the total torque using a force balance equation. The first term of the equation is derived by calculating the curved surface area, while the second term is obtained by considering the flat surface as a series of concentric ring zones and summing the individual torque contributions from each zone. However, there appears to be a discrepancy in the calculation of the second term, with the speaker unable to obtain the correct value.
Tom Hardy
Here is some background to the problem (in a stirred tank):

"With yield stress non-Newtonian (viscoplastic) fluids, it is possible to generate an agitated volume around the impeller, defined as a cavern, surrounded by a stagnant region where the shear stress is insufficient to overcome the apparent yield stress of the fluid."

Sometimes you can get a cylindrical cavern around the impeller, see the below image.

YeL2m.png

"By performing a force balance between the applied torque, Γ and the shear stress acting on the surface of a cylinder, we can define the boundary by setting the shear stress equal to the yield stress τ = τY. The total torque is given by:
$$\Gamma = \frac{\pi}{2} \tau_{y}H_{C}D_{C}^2+\frac{\pi}{6}\tau_{y}D_{C}^3$$

I just can't get the second term. The first term I can get by doing:
$$\Gamma_{1}=\tau_y \cdot Area_{Curved} \cdot \frac{D}{2} = \pi \cdot \frac{D^2}{2} \cdot H_{c} \cdot \tau_{y}$$

This gets me the first term...but the second term I just can't get, this is what I'm doing:

$$\Gamma_{2}=\tau_{y} \cdot Area_{Faces} \cdot \frac{D}{2} =\tau_{y} \cdot 2 \pi \cdot \frac{D^2}{4} \cdot \frac{D}{2} = \tau_{y} \cdot \pi \cdot \frac{D^3}{4} $$

Argh, so I'm getting D^2/4 instead of D^2/6 for the second term and I just can't work it out, if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the flat surface as a series of concentric ring zones . Each zone has a different shear area and a different radial distance from axis . Total torque is worked out by summing the individual torque contributions from each zone .

Last edited:

1. What is a stirred tank with a cylindrical shape?

A stirred tank with a cylindrical shape is a type of vessel used in industrial processes for mixing and stirring liquids or suspensions. It consists of a cylindrical body with a flat or slightly curved bottom and a top cover, and is equipped with an agitator or stirrer to promote mixing of the contents.

2. Why is it important to calculate shaft torque in a stirred tank?

Calculating shaft torque in a stirred tank is important because it allows us to accurately determine the power required for the agitator to mix the contents of the tank. This information is crucial for the design and operation of the tank, as well as for determining the efficiency and cost of the process.

3. How is shaft torque calculated in a stirred tank with a cylindrical shape?

Shaft torque in a stirred tank with a cylindrical shape can be calculated using the following formula: T = k * ρ * N^2 * D^5, where T is the torque (in Nm), k is a constant, ρ is the fluid density (in kg/m^3), N is the agitator speed (in rpm), and D is the agitator diameter (in m).

4. What factors affect the shaft torque in a stirred tank?

The shaft torque in a stirred tank can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the agitator, the diameter of the agitator, the density and viscosity of the fluid, the geometry of the tank, and the type of agitator used. Other factors such as the presence of baffles and the depth of the liquid can also impact the shaft torque.

5. How can the shaft torque in a stirred tank be optimized?

To optimize the shaft torque in a stirred tank, it is important to consider the design and operating conditions of the tank. This includes selecting the appropriate agitator speed and diameter, as well as the type of agitator and the placement of baffles. Other factors such as the fluid properties and tank geometry should also be taken into account to ensure efficient mixing and minimal energy consumption.