Working the differential equation dy/dx = x-y/x+y

In summary: So the equation is v+ x dv/dx= \frac{-v^2}{1+ v} and that is a separable equation. Multiplying both sides by dx and dividing both sides by v^2(1+v), we get \frac{dv}{v^2}= -\frac{dx}{1+v} which can be integrated directly. The left side is \frac{-1}{v} and the right side is -ln(1+ v). That gives -ln(v)= -ln(1+ v)+ C. Since -ln(a)= ln(\frac{1}{
bitrex

Homework Statement

Solve [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x-y}{x+y}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Homogeneous differential equation rules = [tex] v = \frac{y}{x} [/tex][tex] \frac{1}{y} = \frac{x}{y}[/tex] [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = v + x\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x}{x+y}-\frac{y}{x+y} = \frac{1}{1+\frac{y}{x}} - \frac{1}{1+\frac{x}{y}}[/tex]

[tex]x+\frac{dv}{dx} = (1+v)^-1-(1+1/v)^-1 [/tex]

I'd like to know if what I've done here looks good so far? I'm not getting the right answer when I complete the integration, so I'm curious to know if I'm making an error after this point or if I've just completely set the problem up wrong. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your last step its supposed to be [tex]v+x\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

bitrex said:

Homework Statement

Solve [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x-y}{x+y}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Homogeneous differential equation rules = [tex] v = \frac{y}{x} [/tex][tex] \frac{1}{y} = \frac{x}{y}[/tex] [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = v + x\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{x}{x+y}-\frac{y}{x+y} = \frac{1}{1+\frac{y}{x}} - \frac{1}{1+\frac{x}{y}}[/tex]

[tex]x+\frac{dv}{dx} = (1+v)^-1-(1+1/v)^-1 [/tex]

I'd like to know if what I've done here looks good so far? I'm not getting the right answer when I complete the integration, so I'm curious to know if I'm making an error after this point or if I've just completely set the problem up wrong. Thanks for any help!

As djeitnstine pointed out, your left side should be v+ x dv/dx. The right side is
[tex]\frac{1}{1+ v}- \frac{1}{1+ \frac{1}{v}}[/tex]
Multiplying the numerator and denominator of the last fraction by v, this is
[tex]\frac{1}{1+ v}- \frac{v}{v+ 1}[/tex]
which is equal to ?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves variables and their rates of change, and is used to model many real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What does dy/dx = x-y/x+y mean?

This is a first-order linear differential equation, where dy/dx represents the derivative of the function y with respect to x. The equation states that the rate of change of y is equal to the difference between x and y divided by the sum of x and y.

3. How do you solve this differential equation?

To solve this equation, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. The general solution to this particular equation is y = Ax + B, where A and B are constants. Specific initial conditions are needed to find the particular solution.

4. What is the significance of working with differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and understand complex systems in fields such as science, engineering, and economics. They allow us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of systems over time. They also provide a bridge between continuous mathematics and real-world applications.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-world application of this differential equation?

One example is the population growth model, where the change in population (dy/dt) is equal to the difference between the birth rate (b) and death rate (d), divided by the current population (y). This can be represented as the differential equation dy/dt = b-d/y. By solving this equation, we can predict the future population growth and make informed decisions about resource management and policies.