Working While Attending Graduate School

In summary, the speaker is finishing their AA in December and transferring to a four year university in January while working full time. They plan on majoring in Physics and minoring in Computer Science. They are wondering if it is feasible to work while attending graduate school, and from their research, it seems possible to work part-time but full-time would be too difficult. They plan on getting their Ph.D in Physics but have not decided on a specialization. Typically, Ph.D students in physics receive financial support through research or teaching assistantships. It would be difficult to work while pursuing a Ph.D due to the demands of the program.
KMcFadden
I'll be finishing my AA in December and transferring to a four year university in January. I currently work full time and will be doing so while working towards my Bachelor's (majoring in Physics and minoring in Computer Science). What I would like to know is if it is possible (feasible) to work while attending graduate school.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the reading that I did, it's possible to work /part-time/ full time would be impossible though. Just the amount of work.

What degree and field are you planning to do in graduate school? Ph.D. students in physics (in the USA) normally receive financial support in the form of a research or teaching assistantship, or even a fellowship if they're very good. It's enough money for a no-frills lifestyle for one person.

jtbell said:
What degree and field are you planning to do in graduate school? Ph.D. students in physics (in the USA) normally receive financial support in the form of a research or teaching assistantship, or even a fellowship if they're very good. It's enough money for a no-frills lifestyle for one person.

I plan on getting my Ph.D in Physics. I haven't decided yet what I plan to specialize in, though.

KMcFadden said:
I plan on getting my Ph.D in Physics. I haven't decided yet what I plan to specialize in, though.

Unless there is some important reason you need extra income beyond the stipend offered for graduate school, it seems a bad idea to try. A physics PhD is already beyond a full time job.

Thanks for the replies.

1. Can I work while attending graduate school?

Yes, it is possible to work while attending graduate school. Many graduate students choose to work part-time or even full-time while pursuing their degree.

2. Will working while attending graduate school affect my academic performance?

It is possible that working while attending graduate school may affect your academic performance, as you will have additional responsibilities and time commitments. However, it is also possible to balance work and school successfully with good time management and organization.

3. How many hours per week should I work while attending graduate school?

The number of hours you can work while attending graduate school depends on your program's workload and your own personal capabilities. It is important to consider your academic workload and prioritize your commitments to avoid burnout.

4. Are there any benefits to working while attending graduate school?

Yes, there are potential benefits to working while attending graduate school. It can provide valuable work experience, help you develop time management and multitasking skills, and may also provide financial support for your education.

5. Are there any challenges to working while attending graduate school?

Yes, there can be challenges to working while attending graduate school. It may be difficult to balance work and school commitments, and you may experience added stress and fatigue. It is important to prioritize your responsibilities and take care of your physical and mental well-being.