Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working with the 8088 Intel's microprocessor

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of the students or engineers here have ever worked with the 8088 microprocessor?

If so, how difficult (in terms of Assembly code) would be to implement a Graphic Liquid Crystal Display (GLCD) and a RF-ID reader? I have more concern in the glcd than the rf-id reader, since the reader woule just gives hexadecimal data to microp.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2
    8088 - Not a friendly chip for what you want to make.

Lots of better choices by Microchip, Atmel and others.

Look at the PIC16F877A. (You'll thank me later.)

4. Jan 11, 2012 #3
    I can only echo the above. Why would you use an 8088 and have to handle the extra chips when a PIC will do everything in one package.

5. Jan 11, 2012 #4
    It's because is required for a class. Otherwise I'd just use an Arduino. Thanks for answering though! More opinions are welcome as well.

6. Jan 11, 2012 #5
    Do you need to actually write in assembly code? You can write your code in C, and it will be just as fast as assembly. The only justification nowadays for writing things in assembly is for special instructions (which you can embed in C anyway) and very high-performance segments.

Having said that, assembly for the x86 is not difficult at all; but, the difficulty of your project will depend on the complexity of what you want to do, to the interface to those devices, and to the transfer methods you want to use.

Also, a big factor is whether you need to actually make these things to work. If you just need to do some basic interfacing routines, that's one thing... but if you need to initialize / monitor / recover these devices, and go after real-world timining and debugging issues... that can get very complicated very easily, because it's one thing to make an exercise for class.. another to make the darn think to work in real-world conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook