Workshop Crane Calculation Help: Cantilever, Column, Pivot & Ram Pins Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the analysis of a cantilever beam, column, pivot pin, and ram pins. The attached pdf contains a picture of the crane to be used. The equations mentioned include those for tensile stress, general bending, and moment of inertia for various cross-sectional shapes. Shear stress and torque are also discussed in relation to bolts and RHS.
x_eyeless_x

Homework Statement

need to calculate cantilever beam analysis, column analysis, pivot pin analysis, ram pins analysis
the attached pdf has the picture of the crane i intend to use.

Homework Equations

Tensile stress, σ = F/A

General bending equation: M/I = σ/y

Moment of inertia for a rectangular section: bh^3/12

Moment of inertia for a circular section: Ix = Iy = ∏D^4/64

Moment of inertia for a hollow circular section: Ix = Iy = ∏(D^4-d^4)/64

Shear stress on a bolt in double shear, σ = F/(∏/2)D^2

Torque = Fr

The Attempt at a Solution

the pics attached shows the attmept of my calculation.
View attachment RC1000.pdf

IMG-20130320-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20130320-WA0003.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do I calculate the required capacity for a workshop crane?

To calculate the required capacity for a workshop crane, you need to consider the weight of the heaviest load that the crane will need to lift. This weight should include the weight of the load, plus any equipment or attachments that will be used. Additionally, you should factor in any safety margins and the lifting height of the crane. A professional engineer or crane manufacturer can assist with these calculations.

2. What factors should I consider when selecting a workshop crane?

When selecting a workshop crane, you should consider the weight and size of the loads you will be lifting, the height and distance the crane needs to reach, and any special features or attachments you may need. You should also consider the space available in your workshop and any weight restrictions or limitations in the building's structure.

3. How do I determine the appropriate size for the runway beams?

The size of the runway beams for a workshop crane will depend on the capacity of the crane, the span of the beams, and the type of crane system being used. A professional engineer or crane manufacturer can help determine the appropriate size based on these factors.

4. Can I use the same crane for different lifting tasks in my workshop?

In most cases, a workshop crane can be used for different lifting tasks as long as the crane's capacity and reach are sufficient for the loads. However, it is important to carefully assess each lifting task and determine if any special attachments or modifications are needed for safe and efficient operation.

5. Are there any safety regulations or guidelines I need to follow when using a workshop crane?

Yes, there are safety regulations and guidelines that must be followed when using a workshop crane. These may include OSHA regulations, manufacturer's guidelines, and any local or state regulations. It is important to thoroughly review and follow these guidelines to ensure the safety of workers and equipment.