Worst load cases lattice structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of modeling a ship-to-shore crane for a FEM design course. The question at hand is how to determine the most critical points along the lattice structure boom for load calculations. Suggestions are given to model the load at each lattice point and plot a curve to determine the critical points. It is also suggested to model the boom as a simple beam and calculate the equivalent "EI" value for comparison. Other factors such as environmental loading and potential weight swinging are also mentioned. Overall, the method of construction for the boom is unlikely to affect its response to being loaded.
DaanD
Introduction
Dear all,
I'm working on an assignment to model a ship-to-shore crane for a FEM design course. Having modeled the crane, I now need to apply the load of the trolley (which is hoisting the container) on the boom (which in my case is a lattice structure made up of beam elements).

The total load of the trolley will be applied on the boom in 4 points (1 for each corner of the trolley) the load on an arbitrary position is shown in the image.

331zsrt.jpg

The question
Instead of applying the load at every possible position (which are a lot), I want to find the worst load cases along the lattice structure and only calculate the stresses when the loads are in those positions. I however have a hard time determining where that might be. If the boom would be model as just a single beam, it would be a lot easier. However, thanks to the lattice structure I have a hard time imaging where to apply the loads. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you first need to model the load at each lattice point along the boom.
Plot a curve to show where the most critical points along the boom may be.
Then model say eight smaller step positions along the boom between two lattice points in that region.

Remember that the horizontal wind load on a lattice structure can often be more than the vertical gravitational forces.

DaanD said:
If the boom would be model as just a single beam, it would be a lot easier.

You can model it approximately as a simple beam. It acts like an I-beam with the top and bottom rails as the flanges, and other parts carrying the shear load between them like the web of an I-beam.

You could calculate the equivalent "I" value approximately, by ignoring the "web" and just including the top and bottom rails. Or, take your existing model, delete the irrelevant parts, load it like a cantilever, and find the equivalent "EI" value from the deflection you get. If you have time, it would be instructive to do both and compare them (and compare them with your detailed model).

I real life you would probably design the crane by doing this backwards: start by assuming the boom is a simple beam, then figure out the lightest/cheapest way to make that beam from a truss structure.

Actually, you can probably get some useful information from shear force and bending moment diagrams, without calculating the equivalent beam properties at all - just by realizing that the structure acts like a beam.

Last edited:
Your best bet for maximum stress is still putting the load as close to the end of the boom as you can.

It's not clear from the OP if you are also modeling the weight of the structure and if you are including any environmental loading. Since this crane is transferring suspended weights, have you considered what might happen if the suspended weight starts swinging, or otherwise be upset by wind or coming to an abrupt stop at the end of its travel along the boom?

As the others have said, the method of construction of the boom is unlikely to affect how it responds to being loaded. Lattice structures, while being more complicated to construct, are generally lighter than other methods of construction.

1. What are the main factors that contribute to the worst load cases for a lattice structure?

The worst load cases for a lattice structure are typically influenced by factors such as the type and direction of loading, the geometry and dimensions of the structure, and the material properties.

2. How do you determine the worst load cases for a lattice structure?

The worst load cases for a lattice structure can be determined through a process called structural analysis, where various loading scenarios are applied to the structure and the resulting stresses and deformations are calculated. The load cases with the highest stress and deformation values are considered the worst load cases.

3. Are there any specific design considerations that can help minimize the impact of worst load cases on a lattice structure?

Yes, there are certain design considerations that can help reduce the impact of worst load cases on a lattice structure. These include optimizing the geometry and dimensions of the structure, selecting materials with high strength and stiffness, and incorporating reinforcement or bracing in critical areas.

4. Can worst load cases be avoided altogether in the design of a lattice structure?

It is not possible to completely avoid worst load cases in the design of a lattice structure. However, by conducting thorough structural analysis and implementing appropriate design considerations, the impact of worst load cases can be minimized.

5. What are the potential consequences of not considering worst load cases in the design of a lattice structure?

If worst load cases are not taken into account during the design of a lattice structure, it can lead to structural failure, reduced performance, and potential safety hazards. It is important to carefully consider and address worst load cases to ensure the overall integrity and stability of the structure.