Would a Alcubierre drive produce a gravity wave wake?

In summary, the Alcubierre drive idea is a possible solution to Einstein's equations that may produce negative energy density. It would allow travel through space without the use of stars or planets, and has been proposed as a way to travel to other universes.
newjerseyrunner
Discussion of gravity waves got me thinking about objects that seriously distort spacetime and I started wondering about the Alcubierre drive idea. Let's make the assumption that negative energy density is in fact possible and another species has figured out how to do it. What outside-observable effects would it produce as it moved?

Physics news on Phys.org
None. It is a Sci-fy FTL travel device that functions perfectly in Star Trek.

How is that possible? Could you explain where all of that energy goes, or does the expansion and contraction on either side completely cancel out?

Also, please leave Star Trek out of this, I don't want talk about fictional drives, I'm not even really interested in the drive itself, I'm asking about Alcubierre's solutions to Einstein's equations, which is not sci-fi, but valid physics. Please keep this purely mathematical.

The Wiki page on the Alcubierre drive delves into the physics and mathematics far better than I can. Someone took the time to create a Wiki page, have you looked that over. Not that Wiki is an authoritive source, but it is a start.

Alclubierre 'warp drive' is one of a whole class of similar solutions in GR where entering and leaving a 'warp bubble' you can travel FTL relative to paths through nearby approximately flat spacetime not going through the bubble (or tube, or presumably other topologies). As is the case in SR/GR, if FTL is allowed, time travel is allowed - by combining two warp drives you can created a closed timelike curve and travel to your own past. There is nothing controversial about any of this in GR except whether it has any relation to our universe. These solutions entail large amounts of negative energy, manipulated in specific ways; there is no evidence this possibility is possible in principle in our universe.

Thus, the OP is a completely legitimate GR physics (or mathematical physics if you believe the negative energy requirements rule it out of being physics) question. Unfortunately, I have no idea of the answer or else I would have responded earlier. I made a couple of brief searches to see if this question had been investigated, but found nothing. A heuristic guess is that it would not produce GW in isolation, but as it is used by some rocket to travel from one star to another, there would be a small amount of GW emitted by the departure process and the arrival process. Do not attach much weight to this guess.

Likes fresh_42 and berkeman
I don't know, but consider this reasoning: Michelson and Morley failed to detect any "ether drag." This didn't make sense to them until Einstein proposed that the speed of light is constant for all inertial reference frames. We believe that g-waves travel at c also. Given that the Earth doesn't experience a drag, I assume the ship wouldn't create a wake behind it either. But the Earth isn't traveling FTL inside a space-time bubble, so maybe that changes things

The Earth does produce a wake, all objects with mass do, that's why orbiting objects create waves. The Earth is simply tiny and slow moving, so it's gravity wake is unmeasurable. The amplitude of the gravity wave of the Earth-Sun orbit would be 1 part in 10^25.

Of course the ship itself would produce a gravity wake (assuming it's got mass) but I'm more interesting in side effects from the extreme warping of space in front and behind the bubble.

newjerseyrunner said:
The Earth does produce a wake, all objects with mass do, that's why orbiting objects create waves. The Earth is simply tiny and slow moving, so it's gravity wake is unmeasurable. The amplitude of the gravity wave of the Earth-Sun orbit would be 1 part in 10^25.

Of course the ship itself would produce a gravity wake (assuming it's got mass) but I'm more interesting in side effects from the extreme warping of space in front and behind the bubble.
No, the Earth does NOT produce a wake. The co-orbiting system produces GW that do not originate from either the Earth or the sun, and the distantly observed point of origination would not be to exactly the Earth or the sun. If the Earth were isolated in the universe, it would produce no GW. You can even have an accelerating rocket and produce exactly no GW if the thrust is such as not to produce change in quadropole moment of the system. The Kinnersley photon rocket is an exact solution of an accelerating rocket that produces no GW because the anisotropy is exclusively dipolar.

See: http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9412063

So my guess, without finding any references on this, or doing any computations, remains that a warp buble with contained rocket operating in an empty universe (or far enough away from everything else) produces no GW.

Likes newjerseyrunner
Ontophobe said:
I don't know, but consider this reasoning: Michelson and Morley failed to detect any "ether drag." This didn't make sense to them until Einstein proposed that the speed of light is constant for all inertial reference frames. We believe that g-waves travel at c also. Given that the Earth doesn't experience a drag, I assume the ship wouldn't create a wake behind it either. But the Earth isn't traveling FTL inside a space-time bubble, so maybe that changes things
The Earth does feel a slight drag from the emission of GW by the earth/sun system. All orbits of massive bodies in GR are, in principle, unstable due to GW.

At least for the start and destination, I would be very surprised if you could generate volumes with the necessary spacetime warping without inducing any side-effects.
No idea about the theoretical journey in between. An experimental realization (if possible at all) won't be perfect, so I would expect gravitational waves there as well.

mfb said:
At least for the start and destination, I would be very surprised if you could generate volumes with the necessary spacetime warping without inducing any side-effects.
No idea about the theoretical journey in between. An experimental realization (if possible at all) won't be perfect, so I would expect gravitational waves there as well.
And what happens to all the stuff during the journey? There is no real vacuum so all the protons and what else is there might cause major trouble.

Show me an Alcubierre drive with all the details worked out so it is possible to build one and I'll tell you.

PAllen said:
The Earth does feel a slight drag from the emission of GW by the earth/sun system. All orbits of massive bodies in GR are, in principle, unstable due to GW.
Interesting. Thanks! :)

Question 1:

What is an Alcubierre drive and how does it work?

An Alcubierre drive is a theoretical concept for faster-than-light travel proposed by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre in 1994. It involves creating a bubble of negative energy around a spacecraft, which would distort the space-time continuum and allow the spacecraft to travel faster than the speed of light without violating the laws of physics.

Question 2:

Would an Alcubierre drive produce a gravity wave wake?

Yes, according to the original theory proposed by Alcubierre, the drive would produce a gravity wave wake in the form of a gravitational wave. This is because the drive would need to manipulate space-time in order to function, and any manipulation of space-time would produce gravitational waves.

Question 3:

What would be the impact of a gravity wave wake produced by an Alcubierre drive?

The impact of a gravity wave wake produced by an Alcubierre drive is still unknown, as the concept is purely theoretical and has not yet been tested. However, some scientists have speculated that the intense gravitational waves produced by the drive could have negative effects on the surrounding space and objects, potentially causing destruction or distortion.

Question 4:

Is it possible to detect the gravity wave wake of an Alcubierre drive?

Again, this is a difficult question to answer definitively since the technology for creating an Alcubierre drive does not currently exist. However, some scientists believe that advanced gravitational wave detectors, such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO), could potentially detect the gravitational waves produced by an Alcubierre drive.

Question 5:

What are the potential implications of a successful Alcubierre drive?

If an Alcubierre drive were to be successfully created and utilized, it would revolutionize space travel and open up the possibility of exploring distant parts of the universe that were previously thought to be unreachable. It could also have significant implications for our understanding of physics and the nature of space-time.