Would a meeting of local realists fill a phone booth?

• Thread starter wm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Local
In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of a meeting of dedicated local realists to discuss quantum mechanics and whether they would fit in a phone booth. The suggestion is made to make an open public confession before the meeting and read a rough draft of the first clause of membership. The speaker shares their belief in a combination of Einstein's view of locality and the existence of external reality. The question is asked if they will fill the phone booth, to which the speaker responds with a humorous anecdote about fitting in a phone booth with their girlfriend. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a comment about the importance of leaving room for fun and the irrelevance of the topic.
wm
I wonder: Would a meeting of dedicated local realists, to discuss QM, fill a phone booth? (We appear to be such a small minority among the great range and depth of PF participants.)

However, before gathering in the phone booth, let's each take advantage of the assembled world media and make an open public confession. (You know, like world-leaders do before their gatherings.)

In fact, what we could each do is this: We could read the rough draft that we have each brought along for our meeting. (For the first business of the meeting is to: "draft the first clause of membership". Though we have other fun purposes in mind too; including local-realist analysis of quantum experiments without one reference to a loop-hole.)

Here's what I would read, if pressed today: ''I believe that a dedicated local realist accepts something like the following combination:-- On locality: That Einstein's view of locality represents a fine starting point for a general definition of locality. On realism: That external reality exists, independent of observation, and may have properties which are unobservable.'' (I think that last bit refers to the linear polarisation of a random photon, but ... it's a rough draft, remember.)

Question: Will we fill the phone-booth?

Regards, wm

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
How big is the phone booth?

Andy said:
How big is the phone booth?

Hi Andy; from the many experiments that I've done over the years, here's my findings: It's always big enough for me and my girl-friend.

Am repeating the experiment right now ... old results confirmed OK!

So: Should I ask her to leave?

Regards wm

If its big enough for you and you girlfriend then i am assuming that it is quite an easy fit and that neither of you are very fat. This would lead me to conclude that you would be able to fit at least 3 people in there comfortably but many more if you started putting anorexic people in.

Andy said:
If its big enough for you and you girlfriend then i am assuming that it is quite an easy fit and that neither of you are very fat. This would lead me to conclude that you would be able to fit at least 3 people in there comfortably but many more if you started putting anorexic people in.

That might not fit the experimental guide lines: we need to leave some room for Fun. Also: Local realists (and Fun) tend not to be anorexic.

This thread is pointless.

1. What is a "meeting of local realists"?

A meeting of local realists refers to a gathering of individuals who adhere to the philosophical viewpoint of local realism, which states that physical properties exist independently of observation and that there is no non-local effect between distant objects.

2. How many people can fit in a phone booth?

The exact number of people that can fit in a phone booth varies depending on the size and shape of the booth. However, the average phone booth can comfortably fit around 4-6 people.

3. Why is a phone booth used in this question?

A phone booth is used as a reference point in this question to illustrate the concept of local realism. The idea is that, similar to how a phone booth can only fit a limited number of people, local realism suggests that the physical world has a finite number of properties that can be observed and measured.

4. Is there a correct answer to this question?

As a scientist, I cannot speak to the philosophical debate of local realism. However, in terms of the literal question of whether a meeting of local realists could fill a phone booth, the answer would depend on the number of people attending the meeting and the size of the phone booth.

5. How does this question relate to science?

This question relates to science in the sense that it touches on the philosophical principles and debates that underlie our understanding of the physical world. It also highlights the importance of critical thinking and questioning in scientific inquiry.