Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Would a Retaliatory Strike Trigger Article 5?

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Suppose a NATO country makes a first-strike against a non-NATO country. If that non-NATO country strikes back in an armed attack, is that considered an attack against all NATO countries?

In other words, would an armed attack on a NATO country that is a retaliatory strike trigger Article 5?

http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/official_texts_17120.htm

Consider the phrase " if such an armed attack occurs, each of them...will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith...such action as it deems necessary...". The use of "will assist" instead of "shall assist", and the phrase "...as it deems necessary" -- do these phrases give an out to NATO to not attack?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's always an out. "Yes, the treaty says we will. But we won't. Suck it up." So I think the answer is "it depends on what the member states think".

4. Feb 5, 2016 #3

Hepth

Gold Member

Yep, I read " each of them will assist the Party attacked by taking such action as it deems necessary to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area."

If one doesn't deem it necessary to lift a finger, I don't see why they would be obliged.

5. Feb 5, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It also may be worth pointing out the historically first strikes have been portrayed as retaliatory by their initiators. The 1939 German invasion of Poland was in "retaliation" for the Gleiwitz Incident.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook