Would anyone explain the solution a little bit to me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of E(x3µσ) and the formula for calculating E[X-µ]n. It also explains the steps involved in the calculation and the concept of variance. The alternative formula for variance is also mentioned.
Kior
Member warned about posting without the template and with no effort
I am preparing for my math probability class next semester. There is question: Calculate E(x3µσ) Would anyone explain the solution in the picture a little bit to me?

1.Why is the step hold? Is there a formula or something that i can calculate E[X-µ]n?
2.Why is the fourth step hold? Where is the σ from and why variance σ2= E[X-µ]2?
media%2Ff8e%2Ff8e1f936-5fdb-445c-8fef-dd01be6d4e86%2Fphp7cYPNz.png

Physics news on Phys.org
If the distribution is continuous, then we have ## E[X^n]=\int X^n \rho(X) dX ##.
Then it can be proved that ## E[aX+c]=aE[X]+c ## which can be used to prove the first formula.
And variance is defined to be the expected value of the squared deviation from the mean, which means ## \sigma^2=E[(X-\mu)^2] ##.

Shyan said:
If the distribution is continuous, then we have ## E[X^n]=\int X^n \rho(X) dX ##.
Then it can be proved that ## E[aX+c]=aE[X]+c ## which can be used to prove the first formula.
And variance is defined to be the expected value of the squared deviation from the mean, which means ## \sigma^2=E[(X-\mu)^2] ##.

Note that ##\sigma^2 \equiv \text{Var}(X)## is given by
[tex] \begin{array}{cll} \text{Var}(X)& = E(X - \mu)^2 &\text{definition}\\
& = E(X^2) - \mu^2 & \text{alternative formula}
\end{array}[/tex]
Therefore, we have ##E(X^2) = \sigma^2 + \mu^2##.

To get the "alternative formula", just expand out ##(X - \mu)^2## and then take expectations.

1. How can I understand the solution to a scientific problem?

The best way to understand a solution to a scientific problem is to break it down step by step and ask questions if anything is unclear. It can also be helpful to research any unfamiliar terms or concepts and to collaborate with others who have a better understanding of the topic.

2. What should I do if I still don't understand the solution after it has been explained to me?

If you are still struggling to understand the solution, don't be afraid to ask for further clarification or to seek out additional resources. It's important to fully understand the solution in order to apply it correctly and further your understanding of the topic.

3. Is it important to understand the solution to a scientific problem?

Yes, understanding the solution is crucial in the scientific field. It allows for proper application and further advancements in the field. It also helps to prevent mistakes and promotes a deeper understanding of the topic.

4. How can I improve my understanding of scientific solutions?

To improve your understanding of scientific solutions, it's important to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills. You can also seek out additional resources, attend workshops or seminars, and collaborate with others in the field.

5. Are there different methods for explaining scientific solutions?

Yes, there are various methods for explaining scientific solutions. Some people may prefer visual aids such as diagrams or charts, while others may prefer a more verbal explanation. It's important to find the method that works best for you in order to fully understand the solution.