Would like some advice on graduate programs

In summary, this person is undecided about what they want to do with their career and is seeking advice. They are considering going to graduate school to study mathematics and statistics with the hope of finding a career in those areas. They feel that with a bachelors in math and teaching themselves more languages there is no need for a masters in CS. They are interested in computer science, but feel that a masters in math and statistics would give them more options.
trickslapper
Hi guys, this is my first time posting on this forum. My question is about choosing a graduate program to study.

I'm a double math and CS major and to be quite honest and I'm not 100% sure on what i would like in a career. What i do know is that i have 0% interest in being a professor or working in academia. Outside of that I'm not so sure. I think i would be a great software engineer/financial analyst/statistician/other jobs in mathematics or CS.

I feel that with a bachelors in CS and teaching myself more languages there is no real need for a masters in CS(i don't know if this is true it is just how i feel personally). However, with a bachelors in math i doubt that i can get any decent jobs and, therefore I'm leaning towards earning a Masters in mathematical sciences with a concentration in statistics and i would pepper some graduate CS classes such as: Data structures, analysis of algorithms, and data mining.

I feel that in this way i can still keep CS in my academic life and have the potential to start careers from CS, Math/Stats, or even a hybrid career.

What do you guys think? would love to hear all kinds of different opinions.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? I could really use some advice.

Just a suggestion from a soon-to-be master of science. I'm not an academic adviser:

Find something you want to apply CS/math to (like physics, sociology, engineering,commerce, medicine, etc.) and pursue that for a master's. Or just go for applied math. Maybe you have a goal in the humanities?

IMO, you want to draw on the skillset you've invested in.

What kind of things in CS are you interested in? Databasing? GUI? Graphics? Networking? Webdev?

I'm interesting in algorithms/making them as efficient as possible, advanced data structures, and programming in general.

But I also like statistics/mathematics and the potential to apply them in real world situations/careers.

I guess i want to have as many career options as possible once i graduate.

Me too, so I understand. But many countries have some variety of the phrase:

Master of six trades, the seventh? Hunger.

Sometimes being too opportunistic can come back to bite you. I try to walk the fine line between interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary.

I understand what you are saying to me.

If i had to pick i would go with an applied math major with a concentration in statistics. I do enjoy the computer science, but i already have a bachelors in it and i feel that that is enough to find an entry level job and then work my way up if i decided to go into a CS field. Plus i can always go to the library and learn more advanced things on my own.

Do you think this is a good choice pythagorean? Thanks for your advice!

Going to the library and learning on your own is unrealistic (but not impossible) but there's lots of applications for applied statistics. I don't know what the job market is like right now for CS-relates jobs, so I don't know what the caveats of a BS vs. MS vs. PhD are. I certainly see a lot of positions for PhD's in CS (or a related field) with most of the jobs i look at.

I do scientific programming though, that's the market I'm more familiar with (my undergrad was in physics; I will probably do an interdisicplinary CS/psychology degree for my PhD; doing interdisciplinary physics/neuroscience for Masters)

well i know for sure that i can't do much with just a bachelors in math.. I think I'm going to go with a degree in mathematics and statistics.

Anyone else have any other advice?

I suggest getting a Masters in CS so that way you could actually get some good jobs. I really suggest going into academia for higher paying jobs and it's mostly research and you'll need a PhD to be a professor.

a Masters in CS would be nice, but I'm definitely not interested in working in academia.

Oh ok you can make a great living with a masters anyway for you can work in computer companies like IBM..

I've heard that math majors can also get jobs at places such as google, ibm, microsoft, etc. I don't know if this is true or not. What do you guys think about a program where i can earn a dual masters in math and computer science? I found a pretty good one at syracuse university.

Math majors usually go into industry if they don't have a PhD but honestly I think if you want to major in Math , you're going to want to get into academia. And yes syracuse is an excellent university but very hard to get into.

Well, whatever math program i get into I'm going to focus very heavily in statistics (in my opinion statistics is a part of applied math). If i can't get into a dual masters program, i plan on getting into a school whose mathematics and statistics department is the same department. I would just apply to masters in statistics, but most schools don't offer graduate assistantships to MS statistics students : (.

1. What are the top graduate programs in my field of study?

The top graduate programs in each field vary depending on different factors such as rankings, research opportunities, faculty, and location. It is important to research and compare different programs to find the best fit for your interests and career goals.

2. What are the requirements for admission to graduate programs?

The requirements for admission to graduate programs vary, but they typically include a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, letters of recommendation, transcripts, standardized test scores, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require a resume, writing samples, or an interview.

3. How can I finance my graduate education?

There are various options for financing graduate education, including scholarships, grants, fellowships, teaching or research assistantships, and student loans. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities as early as possible, as they are competitive.

4. What is the difference between a Master's and a PhD program?

A Master's program typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on coursework and some research. A PhD program typically takes 4-6 years to complete and involves more extensive research and a dissertation. PhD programs are geared towards those who want to pursue a career in research or academia.

5. How can I choose the right graduate program for me?

Choosing the right graduate program involves considering your career goals, research interests, location preferences, and financial situation. It is important to research and compare different programs, talk to current students and faculty, and visit the campus if possible. Additionally, consider the program's reputation and alumni success in your field. Ultimately, the right program for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences.