1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evolution of Carbon dioxide from Sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide?

1. Aug 8, 2010 #1
    Evolution of Carbon dioxide from Sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide??!

Hi!:smile:
    Here’s a question my teacher asked me to solve about evolution of carbon dioxide,
    We know that carbon dioxide is obtained by the action pf dilute acids on any metallic carbonate or bicarbonate e.g.
    NaCO 3 + (dilute) HCl gives( I am using gives since I don’t know how to give an arrow:biggrin:)NaCl + H2O+CO2

NaHCO3 + (dilute) HCl gives 2NaCl + 2H2O+CO2 Therefore what would be the result of

NaHCO3 + KOH ?

Think it “might” be (just out of instinct:biggrin:)
    NaHCO3 + KOH gives NaOH +KOH+H2O+CO2:????confused:

I don’t know whether it’s correct :uhh:eek:r not and I would be very thankful if someone helps!:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2010 #2
    Re: Evolution of Carbon dioxide from Sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide??!

Lol for some reason I find your equation cute :tongue:

The hydrogencarbonate ion HCO3- can both act as an acid and base. If it receives a proton to become H2CO3 (carbonic acid), it acts as a base. If it loses a proton to form carbonate ion CO32-, it acts as an acid.

Anyway this is a standard acid-base neutralization reaction. Write out the individual ionic equations for the acid and base disassociation first.

[tex]KOH -> K^{+} + OH^{-}[/tex]
    [tex]NaHCO_{3} -> NaCO_{3}^{-} + H^{+}[/tex]

Next neutralize the H+ and the OH-, and then combine the remaining ions into a salt :smile:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  4. Aug 8, 2010 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Evolution of Carbon dioxide from Sodium bicarbonate and potassium hydroxide??!

For the record: this is not sodium carbonate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook