1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Would the charges in each capacitors be the same ?

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    Say there are 2 capacitors of different capacitance connected in series to a supply of 3 V . Would the charges in each capacitors be the same ?

Can i say that charges are analogous current ? If so , since current is the same throughout the circuit , hence the charges in each capacitor is the same ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi thereddevils! :smile:
    Not really.

Use conservation of charge …

if the charges were different, where would the extra charge have come from? :wink:

4. Mar 15, 2010 #3
    Re: capacitors

thanks , i just read bout it a little in wikipedia and it says the principle states that charges can neither be created or destroyed . So say in a circuit , there are 5C of charges so forever there will be 5 C of charges ? Where did this 5 C of charges come in the first place , is it from the battery ? And also each capacitor will store 5 C of charges following that principle ?

5. Mar 15, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi thereddevils! smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

The charge goes from one plate to another … the battery pumps charge all the way from the left-hand plate of the left-hand capacitor to the right-hand plate of the right-hand capacitor.

The charge missing from one plate obviously equals the charge gained by the other plate.

For the two "inside" plates, it's the same … the charge lost by one must equal the charge gained by the other.

6. Mar 15, 2010 #5
    Re: capacitors

thanks tim and good morning , its 5pm here in Malaysia .

i kinda get the picture now so the function of the battery is to pump the charge , does it supply the charges ? Or the charges are already there in the circuit and the battery just pumps them around ?

Ok i see , so when the capacitors are connected in series , the charges are equal in each capacitors , what if the capacitors are connected in parallel ? i think it will not be the same but rather the sum would give the overall charge of the circuit .

7. Mar 15, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The latter … the electrons are already in the circuit, and all the battery does is pump them round.
    Yes, in parallel, the sum of the charges on the two left-hand plates (connected to one side of the battery) is equal and opposite to the sum of the charges on the two right-hand plates (and, of course, the voltage difference across each capacitor is the same).

Have a good evening! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook