• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Would the charges in each capacitors be the same ?

Say there are 2 capacitors of different capacitance connected in series to a supply of 3 V . Would the charges in each capacitors be the same ?

Can i say that charges are analogous current ? If so , since current is the same throughout the circuit , hence the charges in each capacitor is the same ?

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi thereddevils! :smile:
Can i say that charges are analogous current ?
Not really.

Use conservation of charge …

if the charges were different, where would the extra charge have come from? :wink:

Re: capacitors

Hi thereddevils! :smile:

Not really.

Use conservation of charge …

if the charges were different, where would the extra charge have come from? :wink:
thanks , i just read bout it a little in wikipedia and it says the principle states that charges can neither be created or destroyed . So say in a circuit , there are 5C of charges so forever there will be 5 C of charges ? Where did this 5 C of charges come in the first place , is it from the battery ? And also each capacitor will store 5 C of charges following that principle ?

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi thereddevils! smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

The charge goes from one plate to another … the battery pumps charge all the way from the left-hand plate of the left-hand capacitor to the right-hand plate of the right-hand capacitor.

The charge missing from one plate obviously equals the charge gained by the other plate.

For the two "inside" plates, it's the same … the charge lost by one must equal the charge gained by the other.

Re: capacitors

Hi thereddevils! smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

The charge goes from one plate to another … the battery pumps charge all the way from the left-hand plate of the left-hand capacitor to the right-hand plate of the right-hand capacitor.

The charge missing from one plate obviously equals the charge gained by the other plate.

For the two "inside" plates, it's the same … the charge lost by one must equal the charge gained by the other.
thanks tim and good morning , its 5pm here in Malaysia .

i kinda get the picture now so the function of the battery is to pump the charge , does it supply the charges ? Or the charges are already there in the circuit and the battery just pumps them around ?

Ok i see , so when the capacitors are connected in series , the charges are equal in each capacitors , what if the capacitors are connected in parallel ? i think it will not be the same but rather the sum would give the overall charge of the circuit .

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
thanks tim and good morning , its 5pm here in Malaysia .

i kinda get the picture now so the function of the battery is to pump the charge , does it supply the charges ? Or the charges are already there in the circuit and the battery just pumps them around ?
The latter … the electrons are already in the circuit, and all the battery does is pump them round.
Ok i see , so when the capacitors are connected in series , the charges are equal in each capacitors , what if the capacitors are connected in parallel ? i think it will not be the same but rather the sum would give the overall charge of the circuit .
Yes, in parallel, the sum of the charges on the two left-hand plates (connected to one side of the battery) is equal and opposite to the sum of the charges on the two right-hand plates (and, of course, the voltage difference across each capacitor is the same).

Have a good evening! :smile: