What happens to the charges on the capacitors when a capacitor is disconnected?

• Thread starter Eitan Levy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, while solving a circuit with capacitors in series, it is important to consider the initial charge on the capacitors before the power supply is connected. In this particular circuit, the assumption is made that all capacitors were completely discharged before the 20V power supply was connected. This allows for the calculation of the potential and charge on each capacitor after the current has stabilized. However, when the 4μF capacitor is disconnected, the equilibrium state is not disturbed because the 2μF capacitor maintains the same voltage. This means that the charges on the capacitors will remain the same, even though they are now in series. It is important to note that this assumption of initial discharge may not hold in all cases, as the charges
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

This circuit is given:
upload_2017-12-15_18-53-23.png

After the current has stabilized calculate:
1. The current through the voltage source.
2. The voltage and charge on each capacitor.
While the circuit is active and the current is stable, the 4μF capacitor is disconnected from the circuit.
3. What are the new charges on the capacitors?

Homework Equations

Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution

I did 1 and 2 correctly. However, I thought that after the capacitor is disconnected we will get two capacitors in a series, and therefore be able to use Q1=Q2 (getting 14.4μC). I don't understand why it's wrong to do so here, according to the answers the charges stay the same, why?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-15_18-53-23.png
    upload_2017-12-15_18-53-23.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,023
Physics news on Phys.org
Eitan Levy said:
I thought that after the capacitor is disconnected we will get two capacitors in a series, and therefore be able to use Q1=Q2 (getting 14.4μC). I don't understand why it's wrong to do so here, according to the answers the charges stay the same, why?
Yes, you get two capacitors in a series. Yes, the capacitance of the circuit element consisting of the two capacitors in series is then 14.4 μC. But that just tells you how much potential difference there is between the two ends depending on how much charge is moved between the two terminals. It does not tell you the potential difference across the individual capacitors.

An unstated assumption is that this circuit started with all capacitors discharged before the 20V power supply was connected. Without this assumption, the calculation in part 2 is baseless. The potential of the node between the capacitors would be indeterminate.

jbriggs444 said:
Yes, you get two capacitors in a series. Yes, the capacitance of the circuit element consisting of the two capacitors in series is then 14.4 μC. But that just tells you how much potential difference there is between the two ends depending on how much charge is moved between the two terminals. It does not tell you the potential difference across the individual capacitors.

An unstated assumption is that this circuit started with all capacitors discharged before the 20V power supply was connected. Without this assumption, the calculation in part 2 is baseless. The potential of the node between the capacitors would be indeterminate.
My teacher told us that if nothing is said we should assume this.
I don't understand what you are trying to say in your first paragraph. If this is a series the equivalent capacity would be would be 1.2μF. then the equivalent charge would be 1.2*12=14.4μC, and therefore: Q1=Q2=14.4μC. Why is this wrong?

Eitan Levy said:
My teacher told us that if nothing is said we should assume this.
I don't understand what you are trying to say in your first paragraph. If this is a series the equivalent capacity would be would be 1.2μF. then the equivalent charge would be 1.2*12=14.4μC, and therefore: Q1=Q2=14.4μC. Why is this wrong?
The two remaining capacitors were both charged before third was removed. The removal of the third capacitor does not remove this charge.

In part 2 you had an implicit assumption (which you say your teacher says you should make) that the capacitors started completely discharged before power was applied. You can calculate how much current has crossed each capacitor while the circuit was charging, so you know the potential and charge on each capacitor after it has settled down.

Note: I agree with your teacher that this is an assumption that should be made. I am asking you to be aware that you are making it.​

In part 3 you have a different explicit assumption -- the capacitors each start with a known non-zero charge.

jbriggs444 said:
The two remaining capacitors were both charged before third was removed. The removal of the third capacitor does not remove this charge.

In part 2 you had an implicit assumption (which you say your teacher says you should make) that the capacitors started completely discharged before power was applied. You can calculate how much current has crossed each capacitor while the circuit was charging, so you know the potential and charge on each capacitor after it has settled down.

Note: I agree with your teacher that this is an assumption that should be made. I am asking you to be aware that you are making it.​

In part 3 you have a different explicit assumption -- the capacitors each start with a known non-zero charge.
Still can't figure it out...

Eitan Levy said:
Still can't figure it out...
Give your answers to parts 1 and 2. It will help to answer your questions about part 3 using the answers to parts 1 and 2 .

Another way to view at 3) is that when we disconnect the ##4\mu F## capacitor the equilibrium state is not disturbed because the ##2\mu F## capacitor maintains the same voltage (those two capacitors were connected in parallel).

Delta² said:
Another way to view at 3) is that when we disconnect the ##4\mu F## capacitor the equilibrium state is not disturbed because the ##2\mu F## capacitor maintains the same voltage (those two capacitors were connected in parallel).
But their charges won't be equal after that? They are connected in a series now, why doesn't it change?

Eitan Levy said:
But their charges won't be equal after that? They are connected in a series now, why doesn't it change?

Current has to flow in that branch to change their charges, if the equilibrium isn't disturbed, current won't flow in that branch.

If you were starting from the start with those two capacitors in series, completely uncharged at start, then when the equilibrium would have been reached they would have equal charges (because they would have been in series from the start of the charging process).

And something else, capacitors being in series doesn't imply that their charge will be the same for all cases. This holds only if they start with the same initial charge at the starting of the charging process

Consider the case of two capacitors that are in series but the first is starting with charge ##q_1## and the second with charge ##q_2##. Suppose we apply a voltage V , wouldn't it be that ##\frac{q_1+q}{C_1}+\frac{q_2+q}{C_2}=V## for some q, when equilibrium has been reached?

Delta² said:
Current has to flow in that branch to change their charges, if the equilibrium isn't disturbed, current won't flow in that branch.

If you were starting from the start with those two capacitors in series, completely uncharged at start, then when the equilibrium would have been reached they would have equal charges (because they would have been in series from the start of the charging process).
I see, so how do I know if a certain change will break the equilibrium? Why at this specific case it isn't broken? Because their voltages aren't affected?

Eitan Levy said:
I see, so how do I know if a certain change will break the equilibrium? Why at this specific case it isn't broken? Because their voltages aren't affected?

Some voltage or some current has to change somewhere in the circuit, otherwise the equilibrium isn't broken.

Just to say, usually something tricky will happen (that is usually we ll have a new equilibrium state if we are speaking of DC circuits) when we remove or add a branch at an active circuit (one that already has current and voltages formed). BUT in this case the tricky part is to understand that there is nothing tricky, the removal of that capacitor doesn't disturb at all the equilibrium state of the circuit.

Last edited:

1. How do I disconnect a capacitor from a circuit?

To disconnect a capacitor from a circuit, you must first turn off the power to the circuit. Then, use a pair of insulated pliers to remove the wires connecting the capacitor to the circuit. Make sure to discharge the capacitor by shorting the two terminals together with a resistor before removing it completely.

2. Why is it important to discharge a capacitor before disconnecting it?

Capacitors store electrical energy, and if they are not discharged before being disconnected, this energy can be released suddenly and cause dangerous electric shocks. Discharging a capacitor ensures that it is safe to handle and prevents any potential hazards.

3. Can I reuse a disconnected capacitor?

Yes, a disconnected capacitor can be reused as long as it is in good condition and has been properly discharged. However, it is important to check the specifications of the capacitor and make sure it is suitable for your intended use before reusing it.

4. What are the risks of not properly disconnecting a capacitor?

If a capacitor is not properly disconnected, it can remain charged and potentially cause electric shocks or damage to the circuit when it is handled or reconnected. It can also affect the performance of the circuit by providing incorrect voltage or current readings.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when disconnecting a capacitor?

Yes, it is important to always turn off the power to the circuit before disconnecting a capacitor. It is also recommended to use insulated pliers and a resistor to discharge the capacitor before handling it. And, as a general safety measure, always wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with electrical components.