Would this be a picture of pentene?

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the conversation discusses the naming of alkenes with regards to the location of the double bond and the side chain. It is determined that the systematic name for a substituted pentene with a double bond at the second carbon and a methyl group at the fourth carbon would be 4-methyl-2-pentene. However, some suggest including the position of the double bond after the root in the name for clarity.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Would this be a picture of pentene?

I'm unsure because of the location of the double bond - does the location of the double bond factor into naming alkenes?

Attachments

• CropperCapture[13].png
    CropperCapture[13].png
    734 bytes · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org
Location of the double bond matters, just like the side chain matters. But yes, technically it is a substituted pentene. At the same time it is an isomer of hexene.

Borek said:
Location of the double bond matters, just like the side chain matters. But yes, technically it is a substituted pentene. At the same time it is an isomer of hexene.

Thank you! I looked up the nomenclature rules for alkenes and they are:

1) Find longest carbon chain. In this case that would be the 5-carbon chain (pentene).
2) Number longest carbon chain so that the double bonded carbons have the lowest numbers.
3) If the double-bonded carbons are equidistant from the ends, then number so that the first substituent has the lowest number.
4) Name substituents and and chain as appropriate (follow rules for alkanes now)
5) If more than one double bond is present, indicate positions using numbers and add appropriate suffixies (i.e. -diene). In this case there is only one double bond.

So would the systematic name be: 4-methyl-2-pentene? I numbered so that the double-bonded carbons get the lowest numbers. I also forgot to mention above that the position of the double bond must be mentioned in the systematic name.

Last edited:
Although you are right in nomenclature, I'd say in my personal opinion, you can put the number corresponding to the position of multiple bond after the root (chain length). This way, if there are both double and triple bond present, it looks tidy.

For eg. 4-methylpent-2-ene.

Yes, this could potentially be a picture of pentene. The location of the double bond does factor into naming alkenes, as it determines the position of the functional group. In pentene, there are three possible isomers depending on the location of the double bond. Therefore, it is important to specify the position of the double bond when naming alkenes. Without knowing the exact structure and location of the double bond in the picture, it is difficult to confirm if it is indeed pentene. More information is needed for a definitive answer.

1. What is pentene?

Pentene is a type of hydrocarbon compound that belongs to the alkene group. It has a molecular formula of C5H10 and is composed of five carbon atoms and ten hydrogen atoms.

2. What does a picture of pentene look like?

A picture of pentene typically shows five carbon atoms bonded together in a straight line, with each carbon atom having two hydrogen atoms bonded to it. It may also show the double bond between the first and second carbon atoms.

3. How is pentene different from other hydrocarbons?

Pentene is different from other hydrocarbons because it contains a double bond between the carbon atoms. This double bond makes pentene more reactive and gives it unique chemical properties.

4. What are the uses of pentene?

Pentene is commonly used as a starting material in the production of plastics, such as polyethylene and polystyrene. It is also used in the production of synthetic rubber, adhesives, and as a solvent in various industrial processes.

5. Is pentene harmful to humans?

In its pure form, pentene is not considered harmful to humans. However, it can be flammable and should be handled with caution. When burned, it may produce toxic fumes, so proper ventilation is necessary when using pentene in industrial processes.