1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Name the following organic molecule (IUPAC)

1. Mar 4, 2011 #1

PAR

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Name the following (organic) molecule:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Would this be 3-pentene? The root has to be "pent" because that's the longest carbon chain, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2011 #2
    3-pentene would actually be 2-pentene, and it would look something like this (excluding H's)

C-C=C-C-C or C-C-C=C-C

I see what you were trying to get at, but when you say 3-pentene, you're saying there is a 5 carbon chain that is the longest (correct) AND that there is a double bond connecting the 3rd and 4th carbon atoms =)

Here's my hint: try starting off at the double bond, and work your way up. What do you get now?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  4. Mar 4, 2011 #3

PAR

Makes sense, so is it 2-ethyl-1-butene? Does the fact that it contains a double bond take priority over the longest carbon chain?

5. Mar 4, 2011 #4
    That's what I believe it to be =) Been over a year since I've done this, but I think it does for convience, as its just a C=C double bond. Different when it's a C=O double bond, as you could call it 3-pentanone. Either way, I think it's just easier to call it 2-ethyl-1-butene =)

6. Mar 5, 2011 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

IUPAC name is 3-methylidenepentane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?