Name the following organic molecule (IUPAC)

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Name the following (organic) molecule:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Would this be 3-pentene? The root has to be "pent" because that's the longest carbon chain, right?

2. jcsd
  3. 3-pentene would actually be 2-pentene, and it would look something like this (excluding H's)

C-C=C-C-C or C-C-C=C-C

I see what you were trying to get at, but when you say 3-pentene, you're saying there is a 5 carbon chain that is the longest (correct) AND that there is a double bond connecting the 3rd and 4th carbon atoms =)

Here's my hint: try starting off at the double bond, and work your way up. What do you get now?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  4. Makes sense, so is it 2-ethyl-1-butene? Does the fact that it contains a double bond take priority over the longest carbon chain?

5. That's what I believe it to be =) Been over a year since I've done this, but I think it does for convience, as its just a C=C double bond. Different when it's a C=O double bond, as you could call it 3-pentanone. Either way, I think it's just easier to call it 2-ethyl-1-butene =)

6. Borek

Staff: Mentor

IUPAC name is 3-methylidenepentane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?