Alkene Nomenclature: Question 1 - Genius Attempt!

• Thread starter Gigantron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alkene
In summary, the basic structure of an alkene molecule is a carbon chain with a double bond between two carbon atoms. Alkenes are named using the IUPAC naming system and the position of the double bond is determined by the lowest possible number assigned to the carbon atoms involved. Common substituents in alkene molecules include alkyl groups, halogens, and functional groups. Alkene molecules can have geometric isomers when the two groups attached to the double bonded carbons are different.
Gigantron
1. I made up this problem myself in order to practice. I stumped myself. I'm such a genius, I'm aware
It's basically alkene nomenclature with the E,Z naming scheme.2. Picture
See below. I've taken the liberty of already numbering the longest chain.

The Attempt at a Solution

Without the double bond, I know that the name of this compound would be 6-butyl-5,7-diethyl-3-methylundecane.

With the double bond, I think it might be (5E)-6-butyl-5,7-diethyl-3-methyl-5-undecene. Is this right? I'm not entirely sure.

Attachments

• Alkene.png
    Alkene.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me

1. What is the basic structure of an alkene molecule?

The basic structure of an alkene molecule consists of a carbon chain with a double bond between two carbon atoms. Alkenes can have any number of carbon atoms, but they must always have at least one double bond.

2. How are alkene molecules named?

Alkene molecules are named using the IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) naming system. This system assigns a root name based on the number of carbon atoms in the longest continuous chain, and then adds suffixes and prefixes to indicate the presence of double bonds, substituents, and other functional groups.

3. How do you determine the position of the double bond in an alkene molecule?

In an alkene molecule, the position of the double bond is indicated by the lowest possible number assigned to the carbon atoms involved in the double bond. For example, if the double bond is between the second and third carbon atoms in the chain, the molecule would be named as a 2-ene.

4. What are some common substituents found in alkene molecules?

Some common substituents found in alkene molecules include alkyl groups (methyl, ethyl, propyl), halogens (chlorine, bromine, fluorine), and functional groups such as hydroxyl (OH) and carbonyl (C=O).

5. Can alkene molecules have geometric isomers?

Yes, alkene molecules can have geometric isomers. These isomers occur when the two groups attached to the double bonded carbons are different and cannot rotate around the double bond. This results in two possible arrangements of the groups, known as cis and trans isomers.