Would this create an electromagnetic wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses how a changing magnetic field can create a changing electric field, which then creates another changing magnetic field and so on. The question is posed whether shaking a magnet vigorously could generate an electromagnetic wave, possibly a radio wave. It is suggested that shaking the magnet at a very high frequency (>100kHz) could indeed produce a radio wave, and even a 5Hz wave could be considered a radio wave with an extremely long wavelength of 20,000km.
Forestman
I know that a changing magnetic field creates a changing electric field, which creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn creates a changing electric field. My question is, if one were to shake a magnet really hard would this create an electromagnetic wave? Possibly a radio wave. I say a radio wave because obviously no one sees or feels anything when one shakes a magnet.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could shake the magnet very fast (>100kHz), it would produce a radio wave.

I think, technically, the radio wave spectrum approaches 0Hz. So even your 5Hz wave would be radio. Just very, very long waves... ~20,000km wavelength.

Last edited:

1. Would any type of movement create an electromagnetic wave?

No, only certain types of movement can create electromagnetic waves. In order for an electromagnetic wave to be created, there must be a disturbance in an electric field or a magnetic field.

2. Can everyday objects create electromagnetic waves?

Yes, everyday objects can create electromagnetic waves. For example, when you turn on a light switch, the movement of electrons through the wires creates an electric field, which then creates an electromagnetic wave in the form of light.

3. Would electromagnetic waves affect electronic devices?

Yes, electromagnetic waves can affect electronic devices. This is because electronic devices rely on electromagnetic waves to function, and if there is interference or disturbance in the waves, it can cause malfunctions in the device.

4. Can living organisms create electromagnetic waves?

Yes, living organisms can create electromagnetic waves. For example, the human body produces small amounts of electromagnetic radiation, known as thermal radiation, which is a type of electromagnetic wave.

5. Would electromagnetic waves have an effect on the environment?

Yes, electromagnetic waves can have an effect on the environment. Some forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as UV rays, can be harmful to living organisms and can also contribute to the Earth's climate. However, other forms, such as visible light, are necessary for the survival of plants and animals.