Would you be able to do MS in QM in this case?

• Thread starter Abidal Sala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, most physics programs require you to pass qualifying exams in all the major areas of physics, and many require you to take at least a single course in each. If you end up needing to take the standard sequence to prep for the qualifying exams, you'll usually end up with a full first year looking something like: fall: math methods for physics, statistical mechanics, classical mechanics, spring: electromagnetic field theory, quantum mechanics, general relativity.
Abidal Sala
If your major is basically going to be mechanical engineering, but you take electives that have to do with physics.. would those electives help you do MS in Quantum mechanics easily?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I must say that I'm not in graduate school for physics, but rather pursuing math/biophysics ... however, the application process had lead me to look at quite a few physics programs over the past year or two. This is what I've observed that may answer your question:

Most MS (or PhDs) in physics require you to pass qualifying exams in all the major areas of physics: thermodynamics/statistical mechanics, electromagnetic field theory, classical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. Often the degree requires you to take at least a single course in each. Many MS programs are 6-8 courses + a thesis. If you end up needing to take the standard sequence to prep for the qualifying exams, you'll usually end up with a full first year looking something like:

fall
math methods for physics
statistical mechanics
classical mechanics

spring
electromagnetic field theory
quantum mechanics
general relativity

You would take your qualifying exams shortly after your first year (during the summer). Your second year could be made up of an advanced QM survey over the two semesters and writing of your thesis in some area of QM I suppose.

I had looked at a program or two that had a very open requirement assuming you could pass the entrance exam based on your undergrad preparation. You were basically allowed to take 8 classes in whatever you wanted, no thesis required. I was looking at these for the freedom of taking biophysics electives but it could be just as easily extended to your case where you want to focus on QM.

In theory, you could go part-time, taking one QM class per semester, extend the degree over the maximum 4 years and each of those courses would be a higher level QM sequence pretty much exhausting the formal courses the departments offer in QM.

I'm not sure how practical any of that is since it relies on being able to pass the general exams in all areas then going strictly part-time so you can take all the QM courses in sequence over 4 years, but at least according to those few university's academic bulletins, it would earn you a MS in Physics after having taken 8 courses, all in QM and nothing else.

p.s. throughout this post, I am referring to universities I've seen in the U.S. I have no clue if any of this is applicable anywhere else.

Last edited:
Thanks, that was pretty informative.

1. What is MS in QM?

MS in QM stands for Master of Science in Quantum Mechanics. It is a graduate degree program that focuses on the study of the fundamental principles and laws governing the behavior of matter and energy at a subatomic level.

2. What are the prerequisites for MS in QM?

The prerequisites for MS in QM may vary depending on the university or program, but generally, a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry is required. Some programs may also require knowledge in computer science and programming languages.

3. What are the career opportunities after completing MS in QM?

Graduates with an MS in QM can pursue careers in a wide range of fields, including research, academia, and industry. Some popular career options include working as a quantum physicist, research scientist, data scientist, or quantum engineer.

4. Can I do MS in QM without a background in physics?

It is possible to pursue an MS in QM without a background in physics, but it may be challenging. Most programs require a strong foundation in physics, and it may be difficult to understand the complex concepts and theories without prior knowledge. It is recommended to have at least some basic knowledge in physics before enrolling in an MS in QM program.

5. What are some common courses in an MS in QM program?

Some common courses in an MS in QM program may include Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Field Theory, Atomic and Molecular Physics, Statistical Mechanics, and Quantum Information Theory. Elective courses may also be offered, such as Quantum Computing, Quantum Optics, and Quantum Materials.