Would you like to learn every language in the world?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Dremmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of learning languages and the participants express their varying levels of interest and ability in doing so. Some express a desire to learn many languages, including ancient and obscure ones, while others feel overwhelmed by the idea and would prefer to magically know them all. The benefits of learning languages are also mentioned, such as expanding one's perspective and understanding of the world. However, the conversation also touches on the difficulty of learning languages and some participants struggle with even their native tongue.
Dremmer

Science news on Phys.org
I've considered learning several, but every might be a bit much, specially since there are several dialects that are specific to a small group of people.

I have an interest in history, so I've thought about learning languages such as Hebrew, Arabic, Hindi, or Chinese...

Yes, every one, all i have is a little Greek.

No, I'd rather we all put together one language.

Dremmer said:
Yes. It'll take a while though.

Yes. but I won't have the time/memory to do so. I'd learn/do/write something good to share and rely on translators.

wolram said:
Yes, every one, all i have is a little Greek.
I understand every language in the world except Greek.

mayhaps find a babel fish.

Jimmy Snyder said:
It looks Greek to me. :tongue2:

YES! I'd love to know every language in the world. It would be so great to be able to communicate to so many people!

Dremmer said:
Yes - if I had the time and capacity, and I'd like to learn the ancient ones as well.

I'm fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon. - Weird Al

:biggrin:

If you learn Votic, you can give the 20-odd remaining native speakers someone new to talk to.

But it's too late for Livonian. The last native speaker died in 2009.

The Estonian composer Veljo Tormis wrote a cycle of choral songs using various Balto-Finnic languages: Livonian, Votic, Izhorian, Ingrian, Vepsian and Karelian, based on research including interviews with surviving native speakers. Tormis wrote in the booklet accompanying a 2-CD set (Forgotten Peoples) in 1992, "I still get a Christmas card every year in Livonian, but for how much longer?"

Last edited:
i would not like to learn every language. i would like to magically know every language, but frankly I'm having a hard enough time learning biological terms.

Jimmy Snyder said:
See? It's all Greek to me, which is why I have problems with non-Maine English.

Proton Soup said:
i would not like to learn every language. i would like to magically know every language, but frankly I'm having a hard enough time learning biological terms.
You're having trouble learning your native language. :tongue2:

If I were to be paralyzed, I suppose I would spend time learning more languages, but I can't imagine the time input required to learn every language, sort of like not being able to fathom the mass of a galaxy.

First two on my list (after paralysis): Scots Gaelic and Japanese. No reason other than I like the way they sound (I love Kurosawa films).

FtlIsAwesome said:
You're having trouble learning your native language. :tongue2:

if only my "native" language were but one

myth_kill said:
how many languages do u know ?

0.50 of the english language

0.05 of the mathematical language

so not even one.

:lol:

1. What are the benefits of learning every language in the world?

There are several benefits to learning every language in the world. First, it can greatly improve your communication skills and allow you to connect with people from different cultures and backgrounds. It can also open up job opportunities and make you more marketable in a globalized world. Additionally, learning multiple languages can improve cognitive function and even delay the onset of age-related cognitive decline.

2. Is it possible for one person to learn every language in the world?

While it may seem like a daunting task, it is technically possible for one person to learn every language in the world. However, it would require a tremendous amount of time, dedication, and resources. It would also be incredibly difficult to maintain fluency in all languages without regular practice and use.

3. How long would it take to learn every language in the world?

The time it takes to learn every language in the world would vary greatly depending on the individual's learning speed, the difficulty of the languages, and the amount of time dedicated to learning. It could take several decades to learn all languages, especially if they are learned one at a time.

4. Are there any downsides to learning every language in the world?

While there are many benefits to learning multiple languages, there can also be some downsides. It can be mentally and physically exhausting to constantly switch between languages, and it may also be difficult to maintain fluency in all languages without regular practice. Additionally, the sheer amount of time and effort required to learn every language may prevent someone from pursuing other interests or career paths.

5. Can learning every language in the world improve intelligence?

There is no direct correlation between learning multiple languages and overall intelligence. However, some studies have shown that bilingual or multilingual individuals may have better problem-solving abilities and cognitive flexibility. Learning languages also requires a certain level of discipline, which can be beneficial in other areas of life.